dentintraining

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi, I am a pre-dental student, and will be applying next year for dental school. I was wondering if owning a business is something that would help me be accepted, and how I could go about explaining the business in a way that the adcom looks favorable on it.

The business is a car audio company, I have had schematics drawn up, and several amplifiers, equalizers, capacitors, etc. manufactured overseas. The company is still very small, so I was wondering if there is any way I could incorporate this into my application, and if it would even be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Wop

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
dentintraining said:
Hi, I am a pre-dental student, and will be applying next year for dental school. I was wondering if owning a business is something that would help me be accepted, and how I could go about explaining the business in a way that the adcom looks favorable on it.

The business is a car audio company, I have had schematics drawn up, and several amplifiers, equalizers, capacitors, etc. manufactured overseas. The company is still very small, so I was wondering if there is any way I could incorporate this into my application, and if it would even be worth it.

DEFINITELY incorporate that into your app. Put it on your Work Experience and try to add it to your personal statement as well. I have 3 small businesses that I have started since high school. I also have had one "regular" job too. I think this sort of thing is important because doctors/dentists are notorious for being horrible businesspeople. But don't harp on it too much, they'll think you just want to be a private practice dentist and nothing else. Hit on the "service" aspect of running a business, whether it be car audio or dental implants.

Hope that helps.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
the fact that you own your own business should probably be somewhere in the personal statement, if only to catch the attention of the reader that you have done that in your life.

I think it's huge...opening a business requires a lot of work and paperwork and dealing with many business issues a lot of predents have never had to go through. Also, it is a sign of leadership...anyone can join a well established predental club or health organization as a volunteer. Anyone can walk into a dental office and ask for a job or volunteering or internship where someone else tells them what to do. Very few people know how to take the initiative to create something new all on their own

san9

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
dentintraining said:

Haha, weird. I also have business experience w/ car audio.

About the Ads