Entry level therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yak42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new grad and recently started a job at a snf..however I find myself less confident especially when doing transfers..I know as entry level I have much to learn..but I wanted to hear from other therapists as to how long it took them time to settle into working as a licensed therapist..

Members don't see this ad.

pull another therapist/assistant to the side and ask them to go over transfers with you. USE A GAIT BELT.

Observe others on real patients, reflect on your own skills with patients, be critical of all policy and procedure. You do not need to use a gait belt on every patient, some are transferred with much more ease/safety without one, sometimes gait belts can be harmful/contraindicated. Experience/practice leads to mastery but you need to be engaged and it needs to be somewhat novel for you to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
What part of transfers are you not confident with?

In the beginning, ALWAYS use a gait belt. Once you gain more experience, you'll be able to determine what patients need/don't need a gait belt. Transfer to their strong side so the pt is better able to assist you. Use a sliding board for w/c to mat transfers when applicable to save your back. Bend your knees before lifting and always ask for help if the pt is overweight. Don't try to be superman, take a team approach as needed. The more transfers you do, the more you'll find what works best for your body and height.

yes,Experience/practice leads to mastery but you need to be engaged and it needs to be somewhat novel for you to learn.thanks
IPfXjA