Enuresis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyHalcyon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
14 yr. old pt with enuresis. I am aware of the alarm system for treatment of this but wanted to know if there were any specific brands people have had success with. Also, only OAB meds have been tried; they used to work in the past but are not working anymore. I'm thinking about calling pediatrician to discuss other options. Anything I am missing?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is the alarms are not effective at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I'm not as familiar with the research, I know of a case in which an alarm was used and had the intended effect of stopping enuresis.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just a grad student still so I am asking out of curiosity and perhaps my questioning will generate some more discussion from the senior members of SDN. How frequently does the enuresis occur? I'm guessing other medical causes been ruled out (e.g., kidney issues, chronic UTIs)? I saw something interesting regarding chronic bedwetting and how it may be linked to constipation. It was a very long time ago and I'm not sure if it was just a hypothesis. Also, is this a patient with average intellectual functioning? Finally, is this person male or female (is there a link between onset of menses and cessation of bedwetting?

I'm just a grad student still so I am asking out of curiosity and perhaps my questioning will generate some more discussion from the senior members of SDN. How frequently does the enuresis occur? I'm guessing other medical causes been ruled out (e.g., kidney issues, chronic UTIs)? I saw something interesting regarding chronic bedwetting and how it may be linked to constipation. It was a very long time ago and I'm not sure if it was just a hypothesis. Also, is this a patient with average intellectual functioning? Finally, is this person male or female (is there a link between onset of menses and cessation of bedwetting?
It is occurring basically every night and mom said she has taken her to a urologist and "nothing was wrong." From what I gather (new pt so only have seen her twice), it seems that she has had this problem her entire life. There have been periods of time (maybe a month or two) where she has been able to stay dry. I also know when she was in 7th grade she was prescribed Ditropan and it worked, although for some reason pt stopped taking it a year or two ago. Pt received Ditropan from pediatrician last month but it is no longer effective. Pt also has trouble "holding it in" during the day. For example, she was explaining how one teacher doesn't allow the kids to use the bathroom in his class and a few drops escaped. Other possibly important factors: she is a very heavy sleeper and will often not wake when her alarm sounds, her mother had a similar issue as a child but says she outgrew it long before the age of 13, I wouldn't say she is cognitively delayed but her sister is; it is likely she has some sort of learning disorder too; pt lives in a very stressful home environment and history of witnessing frequent DV. And she is a 14yr old female.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

With a history of witnessing DV, are you sure the enuresis is not trauma/anxiety related? In kids I’ve worked with who have experienced traumatic events (especially chronic or long term) this symptom occurs more often than you would think.

Reactions: 1 user
With a history of witnessing DV, are you sure the enuresis is not trauma/anxiety related? In kids I’ve worked with who have experienced traumatic events (especially chronic or long term) this symptom occurs more often than you would think.
It was my original thought but she has had this issue for longer than the DV and mom had a similar problem. My thought is pt. has primary enuresis but that increased internal/external stress may explain why it seems to be worsening. Some research I read said the trauma theory isn't very well supported but it's definitely something I'm considering. I work with adolescents and adults so this is the first time I have ever had a pt with this issue. All I really know is what I've read recently and what I learned in grad school.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile