environmental science major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benwade90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. A lot of the stuff I've read has almost made me think that not only is a non-science/slightly offbeat major acceptable, it's preferred. How does an environmental science major sound to you people? I figure it's mainstream enough to cover my science prereqs while setting me apart a little with applications.

Members don't see this ad.

My girlfriend is an environmental geoscience major, and most of her courses are in geography and geology. The only pre-reqs required for medical school that her major requires is one year of general chemistry. When it comes to picking a major, do what you think you'll be most interested in, because taking the med school pre-reqs is REALLY no problem. Otherwise you'll be miserable for four years and just might find yourself burned out by the time med school even comes around.

I'm finishing my env. science degree this semester. My program was nice because all of the classes I needed for med school also counted towards my degree. If you like env. science, I say go for it. In all of my interviews we talked about my degree choice and why I was interested in the field. I think it helped show another side of myself to interviewers and I really enjoyed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is really no "preferred" major for med school. I can go on for several paragraphs why this is the case, but I don't care that much.

I'm a freshman trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. A lot of the stuff I've read has almost made me think that not only is a non-science/slightly offbeat major acceptable, it's preferred. How does an environmental science major sound to you people? I figure it's mainstream enough to cover my science prereqs while setting me apart a little with applications.

no problem... as long as it is a standard major offered at most large universities (google it if unsure), which environmental science is then you are fine... it is only majors like "underwater basket weaving" only offered at one university in state x in all of the US, then it may be a problem... but yes, go for environmental science if you are interested in it