Envision benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
300-350K is high for the VA, doubtful that most fall into that range across the country.
Nope. Those are the salaries. Plus they get a 15k bonus.

My friend makes 340k plus 15k (north east)

My other friend makes 327k plus 15k (south)

The mountain west guy is 346k. Plus 15k

Again. It’s low pay compared to private.

But factor in everything.

A mom or young new grad female (or even dads) wanting 2 kids. They get a 75k (12 weeks paid new baby leave) benefit every time they have a baby. I know that sounds sexist. But that’s real money they save getting to be off 3 plus months PAID leave and not having to use their paid time off or sick leave

So think about it. U get paid 325k. Plus equivalent of 75k in leave benefit to have a baby). Where are u gonna to find a 7-3pm job u can’t get fired from with limited calls?

People are not stupid.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope. Those are the salaries. Plus they get a 15k bonus.

My friend makes 340k plus 15k (north east)

My other friend makes 327k plus 15k (south)

The mountain west guy is 346k. Plus 15k

Again. It’s low pay compared to private.

But factor in everything.

A mom or young new grad female (or even dads) wanting 2 kids. They get a 75k (12 weeks paid new baby leave) benefit every time they have a baby. I know that sounds sexist. But that’s real money they save getting to be off 3 plus months PAID leave and not having to use their paid time off or sick leave

So think about it. U get paid 325k. Plus equivalent of 75k in leave benefit to have a baby). Where are u gonna to find a 7-3pm job u can’t get fired from with limited calls?

People are not stupid.

Also immunity due to federal government

I think I've seen an addon after 3pm one time ever

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

My VA experience was admittedly a long time ago. But if it was 1pm and a case was on the board that looked like it might go past 3pm, it would be cancelled and people would sit around until 3 when they would go home. No production pressure there. We called it the “VAhhh spa”.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It’s not as rosy as it sounds.

My friend say they report adverse events to National data banks without ur consent. That’s why they cancel a ton of cases. Lots of blame game. U don’t want ur name on data base for something out of ur control. Like that LA anesthesiologist getting let go due to bad surgeon thoracic cases.

They run cases to 5pm a lot at many places.

In upper Midwest. They got 2 docs there to 7-8pm consistently. (Hint. It’s a place with openings always). Same with north east place running Md only cases after 3pm consistently

I worked at the VA in Texas for 2 years post fellowship. Pay consists of a base salary and a locality specific salary. Roughly a third of my salary came from the base and the other was location based. My understanding was the location I was at was granted a much higher locality bonus than most other VAs. I fell around 325-330.

The real problem at the VA for me was weak leadership. It lead to a ballooning of intra-department drama as the incentives in a shift work place like the VA is to shaft their colleagues to try and get out as soon as possible. Also, while the vacation/sick time was extensive, everyone played a lot of games with vacation requests and often I couldn't get the time off I was attempting to.

I didn't realize how much the job drained my soul until I moved to PP. Now I work more but am much more fulfilled.

Reactions: 1 user