EP fellowship interviews? July 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebeetle7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody received any EP fellowship interviews yet? And if so, where and when are they?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing so far. I'm wondering as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not applying to EP (best of luck) but I’ve heard that it’s basically a buyer’s market since so many programs go unfilled and that this “match” season is super long. I don’t understand why it starts so early - they should just time it the same as the gen cards fellowship match.

Love EP, but assume that it's not hard to find a spot now that it requires 2 years of additional training with known job market concerns.. Any updates on if the dismal picture previously painted on the forums has changed?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Can anyone please give me some information on EP Fellowship program at Lahey Clinic in Boston ?
volume, quality of training,etc.
thank you very much

Love EP, but assume that it's not hard to find a spot now that it requires 2 years of additional training with known job market concerns.. Any updates on if the dismal picture previously painted on the forums has changed?

I'm no expert as I'm only just about to begin my job search but at least from some cursory browsing and speaking with locals in the industry I'd say there are plenty of opportunities around. At least in my surrounding metro area I'm aware of at least 3-4 EP positions.

I'm applying next year so I'm super interested in how it's going this year. (This is the first year for ERAS/NRMP right?) I assume this will go like interventional where there is technically a "match" but programs will give rolling offers much sooner, rather than want to wait until the end of the year to do the match? Anyone hearing anything different?

Also, when did/are interview invites rolling in, and from where? Good luck to those applying right now.

I'm applying next year so I'm super interested in how it's going this year. (This is the first year for ERAS/NRMP right?) I assume this will go like interventional where there is technically a "match" but programs will give rolling offers much sooner, rather than want to wait until the end of the year to do the match? Anyone hearing anything different?

Also, when did/are interview invites rolling in, and from where? Good luck to those applying right now.

No. More than 90% of the programs are going for match. There are official emails sent out to applicants stating this. so it would be interesting to see how the match works.

Giving this thread a bump. Which programs have sent out invites so far, and when? Curious about the timeline in this new format.

Lowly Med student here always been interested in cards and really like the cerebral aspect of EP (based on my limited exposure). Am an MS4 planning on IM and hopefully cards. Will prob end up at mid tier univ IM (possibly a little rougher). @nlax30 can you tell me what gets you going about EP?

Hmm....

I didn’t really get into EP (or for that matter know much about the field) until general cardio fellowship. But pretty early on I took a liking to it.

For me it’s a number of things that all combine into being a fun field.

I’ll say though that I still enjoyed/enjoy most other aspects of general cardiology, especially imaging. While some EPs eventually just do strictly 100% EP “stuff” and don’t manage general cardiac issues there are a good number that still do some aspect of general cardiology care, whether that’s covering gen cardio consults, doing their own TEEs, etc...

In any event I didn’t want to be 100% in the hospital or office regardless of field. I enjoy a mix of hospital consult work, office type visits and especially procedures. So from that starting point EP fit nicely, as do most of the other fields in caridology.

I’m sort of a gadget/technology junkie and I think somewhat drawn to the technically nature of some of these procedures. When younger I enjoyed tinkering with electronics and repairing things so whether it’s an EP study/ablation or trouble shooting an ICD/Pacer there’s an aspect of working with technology that appeals to me.

It’s still a fairly young and evolving field. Some of the “founding fathers” and second generation field leaders are still either practicing or giving talks so it’s cool to hear lectures and get to interact with the names who actually worked there way through the initial development and growth of the field. They have a unique knowledge base and perspective.

For the most part I can offer a treatment that can either cure something immediately or high a very high chance of improving a patient’s life. Someone comes in with complete heart block I can easily fix that. Most SVTs we pretty much can cure now with an ablation. Someone has symptomatic AF, I can either give meds or perform an ablation that has a high chance of improving symptoms. With advanced cardiomyopathies I’ve seen plenty of people respond dramatically to CRT.

EP itself is growing into a pretty diverse field. Certainly if you end up going into academics you may choose to focus on particular aspect, whether it be AFib, VT, device therapy, or extraction. It’s actually getting hard to “do it all”.

I enjoy the intellectual challenge. The EPs I’ve met are incredibly smart people and the subject material I think lends itself well to someone who enjoys or who is good at understanding a concept and logic. I’m horrible at memorizing though am good at working through a problem once i understand a concept or mechanism.

Hmm....

I didn’t really get into EP (or for that matter know much about the field) until general cardio fellowship. But pretty early on I took a liking to it.

For me it’s a number of things that all combine into being a fun field.

I’ll say though that I still enjoyed/enjoy most other aspects of general cardiology, especially imaging. While some EPs eventually just do strictly 100% EP “stuff” and don’t manage general cardiac issues there are a good number that still do some aspect of general cardiology care, whether that’s covering gen cardio consults, doing their own TEEs, etc...

In any event I didn’t want to be 100% in the hospital or office regardless of field. I enjoy a mix of hospital consult work, office type visits and especially procedures. So from that starting point EP fit nicely, as do most of the other fields in caridology.

I’m sort of a gadget/technology junkie and I think somewhat drawn to the technically nature of some of these procedures. When younger I enjoyed tinkering with electronics and repairing things so whether it’s an EP study/ablation or trouble shooting an ICD/Pacer there’s an aspect of working with technology that appeals to me.

It’s still a fairly young and evolving field. Some of the “founding fathers” and second generation field leaders are still either practicing or giving talks so it’s cool to hear lectures and get to interact with the names who actually worked there way through the initial development and growth of the field. They have a unique knowledge base and perspective.

For the most part I can offer a treatment that can either cure something immediately or high a very high chance of improving a patient’s life. Someone comes in with complete heart block I can easily fix that. Most SVTs we pretty much can cure now with an ablation. Someone has symptomatic AF, I can either give meds or perform an ablation that has a high chance of improving symptoms. With advanced cardiomyopathies I’ve seen plenty of people respond dramatically to CRT.

EP itself is growing into a pretty diverse field. Certainly if you end up going into academics you may choose to focus on particular aspect, whether it be AFib, VT, device therapy, or extraction. It’s actually getting hard to “do it all”.

I enjoy the intellectual challenge. The EPs I’ve met are incredibly smart people and the subject material I think lends itself well to someone who enjoys or who is good at understanding a concept and logic. I’m horrible at memorizing though am good at working through a problem once i understand a concept or mechanism.

Nerrrrrrrrrrrds

Haha in all seriousness I wish I liked EP. But scrubbing into even a one hour flutter ablation makes me want to die

Nerrrrrrrrrrrds

Haha in all seriousness I wish I liked EP. But scrubbing into even a one hour flutter ablation makes me want to die

Granted most of the ablations, especially AF, are not interesting and actually boring if you aren’t the primary operator and performing most of the procedure. Actually doing the ablations are fun, watching is probably one of the more boring things in medicine.

I can think of something worse though, a several hour peripheral intervention....

How is the interview season been treating everyone? Any idea if people are still offering positions out of match. Any ideaideas about the programs and Duke or upenn? What about university of Arkansas?