epilepsy fellowship: 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronwangyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many strong programs prefer fellows to stay for 2 years. And one of epileptologist have told me that 2 years training is a must for epilepsy fellows. It seems that the second year is mainly for research and grant. So, why do we need 2 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Many strong programs prefer fellows to stay for 2 years. And one of epileptologist have told me that 2 years training is a must for epilepsy fellows. It seems that the second year is mainly for research and grant. So, why do we need 2 years?

Because . . .

1) Hospitals rely on lower paid residents and fellows to do a lot of the work, so they want to keep you there longer rather than hire a more expensive fully trained physician, and

2) Academic centers than run fellowship programs like to churn out more academics.

Unless you are planning on an academic faculty position at a "top whatever #" program and really need to buff up your research creds, I don't see the need to do 2 years.