epilepsy fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcrunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if somebody can give me some advice/info on epilepsy fellowship after neurology residency. How competitive is it to get a fellowship spot? Is extensive research and publications a must? When does one actually start applying/contacting programs?

I'm a current PGY-2 so I know I have plenty of time but I would just like to have a general idea. Everyone at my program(which I love) keeps telling me I just started so stop worrying about it:)

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard it's not competitive and easy to get a spot. I guess if you want to go to a baller fellowship some research would help

Hey just wondering if somebody can give me some advice/info on epilepsy fellowship after neurology residency. How competitive is it to get a fellowship spot? Is extensive research and publications a must? When does one actually start applying/contacting programs?

I'm a current PGY-2 so I know I have plenty of time but I would just like to have a general idea. Everyone at my program(which I love) keeps telling me I just started so stop worrying about it:)

I am a 4th year medical student, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have also heard that Epilepsy fellowship is not hard to land. Of course, it might still be competitive at top places in the country, but generally speaking, it is not by any means difficult to do an Epilepsy fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a 2 year epilepsy fellowship at Vanderbilt. It was not hard to get in but I did med school there too. I applied to 3 places and was accepted at each one. I did not have much research to my name or anything really and I got in just fine. I think there are a ton of programs out there all looking for fellows. The issue is getting pure epilepsy. Most programs want you to do some sleep or some emg. I ended up doing some sleep in the mornings in the months I had to do it and then went in and read EEG studies later on in the day. So it worked out ok. :)

So which Neurology fellowships would you say are harder? Movement disorders? Headaches? My guess would be Interventional or Vascular since it seems are there's a fewer number of them.

I did a 2 year epilepsy fellowship at Vanderbilt. It was not hard to get in but I did med school there too. I applied to 3 places and was accepted at each one. I did not have much research to my name or anything really and I got in just fine. I think there are a ton of programs out there all looking for fellows. The issue is getting pure epilepsy. Most programs want you to do some sleep or some emg. I ended up doing some sleep in the mornings in the months I had to do it and then went in and read EEG studies later on in the day. So it worked out ok. :)

As a rule, they are not competitive. Everyone I've known got exactly where they wanted. Even at supposedly high ranking institutions.

Research never hurts. If you want a much more competitive school than you are doing your residency at, and/or your home attendings don't know too many people at the location you want, it would certainly be helpful...

You can email them at any time. The spots at many places usually fill the summer prior to start date at the places I know.

You DO have plenty of time. Do rotations to see if you even like it. Also, do rotations in things other than epilepsy to see if you like THEM more.

Good luck.