epinephrine for Open Angle Glaucoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stop2stop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Another quick question about epinephrine in this particular situation. I'm confused why it would be appropriate to use in open angle glaucoma. I always assumed that beta effects predominated with epinephrine, and thus B2 effects should be increasing aqueous humor production. Even at high doses, would the a2 effects of decreasing humor synthesis really be enough to reverse the above? Thanks so much for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Another quick question about epinephrine in this particular situation. I'm confused why it would be appropriate to use in open angle glaucoma. I always assumed that beta effects predominated with epinephrine, and thus B2 effects should be increasing aqueous humor production. Even at high doses, would the a2 effects of decreasing humor synthesis really be enough to reverse the above? Thanks so much for the input.
The A1 and A2 would be overcoming the effects mainly, also you would have vasoconstriction of the ciliary bodies which would work to decrease aqueous humor productions.
Source: optometry student girlfriend

Reactions: 1 users
@pocillopora is right , remember that high-dose epi= Norepi , so a1 predominates .. Not used so much since it has side effects and stuff . Also remember NEVER use drugs with a1 action in CLOSED glaucoma since you will completely mess up the IOP

Reactions: 1 user
The A1 and A2 would be overcoming the effects mainly, also you would have vasoconstriction of the ciliary bodies which would work to decrease aqueous humor productions.
Source: optometry student girlfriend
can you ask her why vasoconstriction of the ciliary bodies decreases aqueous humor production? is it just because less blood to the ciliary body means less aqueous humor production?

can you ask her why vasoconstriction of the ciliary bodies decreases aqueous humor production? is it just because less blood to the ciliary body means less aqueous humor production?
I think mainly bocz aqueous humor is an ultrafiltrate. so there will be less of it formed. Hence, A1 decreases aq humor production.

Reactions: 1 user