Epocrates?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by HKDO08, Jun 15, 2008.

1. HKDO08

HKDO08 Ivan the Terrible

Attending Physician
    My subscription for epocrates is running out soon. I wondering - is it really worth it for a pediatric resident? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ekydrd

ekydrd Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Epocrates isn't great for peds. It lacks a lot of peds dosing and info. Tarascon or one of the other PDA packages specifically for peds would be better.

4. Marigold

Marigold Kid Doctor
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Good question! I've been wondering lately about what are the best PDA programs to have for peds...don't want to hijack the thread, but anyone who has a favorite PDA program for peds, feel free to share! :D

5. HKDO08

HKDO08 Ivan the Terrible

Attending Physician
    That's what I was thinking - but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

I heard there are other things out there like 5 Minute Peds Consult and of course Harriet Lane on PDA. Anyone else?

6. KidDr

KidDr Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I think Epocrates is usually pretty good for peds dosing. I use the free version. So for you, I'd just download the free version instead of paying to renew. When Epocrates doesn't give the drug/dosing info I need, I use Uptodate (most hospitals have free online access), Harriet Lane, or I called the inpatient pharmacy and talked to one of the pharmacists.

7. Complications

Complications Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would see what your program does. We are "standardized" to lexi-comp, so there are less dosing errors. I have epocrates, but cannot use it in the hospital.

8. billygoat

Resident [Any Field]
    Just my experince, but Harriet lane on PDA was painful. YOu cannot search it and it took forever to find stuff. I am not putting it on my new PDA. I am thinking about the Tarascon stuff. Might just take the plunge and see how it works. I'll keep Ya'll updated

billygoat