Dec 9, 2013
Status
Post Doc
Hi everyone,

I graduated this year and completed my predoc. I have been trying to contact the CA BOP, no success for the past month. I am still looking for a postdoc and have been studying for the EPPP. I can't apply as a psych assistant or registered psychologist without having a postdoc placement. Would I be able to take the EPPP before finding a postdoc then?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Psychologist
California requires completion of post-doc hours before hand, if I am not mistaken.

PsychBiker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
You have to do your Post Doc first. However, Arizona does not require a post doc.

Aug 7, 2013
from http://www.psychboard.ca.gov/exams/exam-overview.shtml

"The EPPP is a 225 multiple-choice question computer administered examination. The pass point on the EPPP is a scaled score of 500. The EPPP is owned by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards. The EPPP is available for administration at Prometrics testing sites throughout North America. In California, applicants can take the EPPP once they have obtained a qualifying doctorate degree and completed at least 1500 hours of qualifying supervised professional experience. More information on the EPPP can be found at www.asppb.org."

So you have to have completed 1500 hours of SPE before you take the EPPP. Most internships provide 1500-2000 hours, so you should be able to do it after internship. Anecdotally, when I was at a VA in CA last year, most of our post-docs completed the EPPP before the end of the post-doc year.

However, to take the California Psychology Supplemental Exam (CPSE), you have to have completed all 3000 required hours - internship + postdoc.

Reactions: HappyPhDHopeful