EPPP Miss / New strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would politicians want to control amount of licenses being given out? Seems to me that they are more motivated to flood the market. I also didnt think it was that tied to grad school education as much as intro to psych type stuff. I heard someone say that teaching an intro to psych class is great preparation. I was teaching that class at that time and found that it was helpful.

I am also good at taking multiple choice tests in general and always have been. Aced this one. Part of the reason I am good at these tests has to do with good intuitive abilities (makes for better guessing) coupled with strong verbal skills and ability to retain and recall a lot of information. I don’t know if these skills are necessary to be a good psychologist, but since I have them, I use them. For the poster, I am not sure if the intuitive part can be shifted much, but some strategies like go with your first choice unless you are certain rely on intuitive ability. Adding more information and being able to retrieve it can be improved and that is where multiple study strategies come into play.

i used every modality of information processing as part of my strategy and explaining things to people is one of the best ways of me doing this so I annoyed my wife with explanations of industrial organizational psychology and other aspects of the field that I wasn’t actively boring my intro to psych students with.
Politicians need to control licenses because there really are competing groups that get hurt or benefit from the larger or smaller number of licenses:

1. Schools that want a large number of people, at least from their school, to pass in order to prove they are worth the obscene amount of tuition they charge.

2. Psychologists who want smaller numbers of people to pass to keep the reimbursement levels for people who do pass and have passed higher.

3. Businessmen who want large numbers of people to pass so they can market therapy and other services and pay less to Psychologists.

All of these groups pressure the hell out of licensing boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Come now, don't be like that. Let's go grab a drink, you can tell me all about Q-drops and the cabal, and I can explain how stats work. It'll be great.
Sorry, sweetie, I don't drink.

Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon guys, we all know that ABPP are the real lizard people of psychology.

Politicians need to control licenses because there really are competing groups that get hurt or benefit from the larger or smaller number of licenses:

1. Schools that want a large number of people, at least from their school, to pass in order to prove they are worth the obscene amount of tuition they charge.

2. Psychologists who want smaller numbers of people to pass to keep the reimbursement levels for people who do pass and have passed higher.

3. Businessmen who want large numbers of people to pass so they can market therapy and other services and pay less to Psychologists.

All of these groups pressure the hell out of licensing boards.
For the second point, I think most psychologists just want standards and a high bar. Most of us are smart enough to know that we need a reasonable supply of us or demand will lead to encroachment. For the first point, I’m not sure how a school could game the test to favor their program. For the third, businessman marketing therapy don’t give a crap about us and marketing therapy because they will market the multitude of midlevels.

Also, in case anyone is paying attention, I do know that I am doing the opposite of what I advised in another thread.
:shifty:

For the second point, I think most psychologists just want standards and a high bar. Most of us are smart enough to know that we need a reasonable supply of us or demand will lead to encroachment. For the first point, I’m not sure how a school could game the test to favor their program. For the third, businessman marketing therapy don’t give a crap about us and marketing therapy because they will market the multitude of midlevels.

Also, in case anyone is paying attention, I do know that I am doing the opposite of what I advised in another thread.
:shifty:

The current supply of psychologists has very little to do with reimbursements. Lobbying and CMS rates for certain codes plays more into that that supply ever will. Also, the number of people failing on the first attempt is pretty low, and ultimately those not passing on a subsequent attempt is pretty small. That point is simply a misunderstanding of how reimbursement works and not knowing the actual passing stats on the EPPP.

I was just listening to the local board - someone has failed the EPPP seven times...

• Wow
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
The current supply of psychologists has very little to do with reimbursements. Lobbying and CMS rates for certain codes plays more into that that supply ever will. Also, the number of people failing on the first attempt is pretty low, and ultimately those not passing on a subsequent attempt is pretty small. That point is simply a misunderstanding of how reimbursement works and not knowing the actual passing stats on the EPPP.
Yeah, I don’t think that the EPPP is really related to the supply or the demand for psychologists. I honestly think that it is intended to be an attempt to have a standard. It’s debatable how effective that is and I don’t really know enough about it to have much opinion about that. All I know is that I passed and am glad I don’t have to worry about it again. For the point about supply and demand, I do think that APA accrediting some of these large cohort programs has more of an effect and as I’m sure most posters on this board would agree that can be a problem, especially if it leads to lower standards and lower compensation.

I can’t imagine how the last 20 posts have been helpful to the OP who is clearly struggling and needing advice on how to pass. May we please refocus on the convo on them instead of proving who knows more about an exam that none of you are actually part of developing?

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t imagine how the last 20 posts have been helpful to the OP who is clearly struggling and needing advice on how to pass. May we please refocus on the convo on them instead of proving who knows more about an exam that none of you are actually part of developing?

slow motion kick GIF