EPPP Pass Rates Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was my reaction to Unknown Psych's "check your privilege" statement which he/she began because he/she believes that pass rates are substantially influenced by students who are ESL or have various LDs. My point was that professional psychology requires an excellent command of the language in which the provider works. This has nothing to do with privilege and everything to do with patients' right to effective providers. It makes no sense to graduate students who cannot perform the relevant professional functions, because "privilege".

I mention Gallaudet because they have a good program and require students to know the language relevant to their patient population.

Hey hey, I'm on your side; though I was mainly irritated with that overused conversation-ender. I think some reasonable accomodations can and should be made for ESL/LD people, but to your point nobody wants a blind surgeon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reasonable accommodations, sure. But, unless a select group of schools are enrolling HUGE proportions of ESL/LD people, it's hard to explain such abysmally low accredited match low EPPP pass rates outside of a programmatic quality issue. Heck, even if they are, it's hard to explain it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reasonable accommodations, sure. But, unless a select group of schools are enrolling HUGE proportions of ESL/LD people, it's hard to explain such abysmally low accredited match low EPPP pass rates outside of a programmatic quality issue. Heck, even if they are, it's hard to explain it.

I find at least one accommodation I know of to be completely unreasonable.
I work with a newly licensed imbecile. That person just passed the EPPP. They had an accommodation (which I wont mention on here, but it was ridiculous and completely unreasonable) and got double the time to take the test. Double.

Anyone ready for a surprise? Yep. From one of those programs.

I work with a newly licensed imbecile. That person just passed the EPPP. They had an accommodation (which I wont mention on here, but it was ridiculous and completely unreasonable) and got double the time to take the test. Double.

At least in my experience, I don't think extra time would've helped at all, as I finished with maybe 30 minutes to spare. In actuality, it probably would've just worn me out , as I'd then have had the opportunity to sit and perform even more mental acrobatics about the 20-30 questions I'd marked to review. So perhaps that will be somewhat heartening to you.

Reactions: 1 user

Did they have graduate school onset ADHD?

I've seen ADHD diagnosed due to attention and impulsivity problems directly resulting from moderate/severe TBI (as explicitly mentioned in the affiliated chart note). In middle-adulthood. Sigh.
Is the TX likely to be significantly different for TBI-related impulsivity and attention v. idiopathic attention and impulsitivity in adults? (Honest question--I'm not an adult TBI person).

Does the test even need to be timed or even most tests for that matter? It seems to me that time constraints on tests tend to mainly affect the more anxious individuals. When I have taught undergrad I started telling students to take as much time as they need. A surprising effect of this was that the anxious students who previously had a tough time getting the test done in an hour were now finishing in about 40 minutes. Somebody else can check the research on this or get a study done, I have a report to write up on an ADHD eval and I am having a tough time focusing.

Is the TX likely to be significantly different for TBI-related impulsivity and attention v. idiopathic attention and impulsitivity in adults? (Honest question--I'm not an adult TBI person).

Yes and no. Responsiveness to a stimulant should be similar (based on limited research), though responsiveness to other meds is more of a crapshoot. Additionally, response to non-pharma Tx may vary due to co-occuring complications of a mod-severe TBI as compared to pre-existing/childhood ADHD. I don't believe "adult on-set" ADHD exists, for a plethora of reasons….ignored by those who make a living dx'ing it.

Last edited: