EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just took the EPPP. I thought the test items were worded poorly and ambiguously. We'll c how I do. I think I had a caffeine induced panic attach about 2/3 way through as well. Haha. Ayyy.

Good luck! I agree, the items are very poorly written.

Members don't see this ad.

I took two practice exams. On the first I got a 400, and on the second a 380. I just scored above 75% on the actual EPPP. I studied only with an Apple iPad App that cost me $35. Iistended to some audio for a few months before hand, probably about 1-2 hours a week. Imo, only the app was beneficial. The last two weeks I crammed every flashcard on the app.

I took two practice exams. On the first I got a 400, and on the second a 380. I just scored above 75% on the actual EPPP. I studied only with an Apple iPad App that cost me $35. Iistended to some audio for a few months before hand, probably about 1-2 hours a week. Imo, only the app was beneficial. The last two weeks I crammed every flashcard on the app.

Do you remember which app it was? The ones I've seen (although admittedly my search has been very, very cursory thus far) are much pricier than that. If I could find something for $35 that was actually helpful, that'd be great. Feel free to PM the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an iPhone app ($30) that had a bunch of flashcard questions..,,though they are not multiple choice. Search "EPPP" in hhe app store and it will come up in the top few choices. I didn't use it much bc my foundational knowledge was solid, but I can see it being helpful for some. There is a lite version that is available for free. *i have no connection to whomever made this app*

There is an iPhone app ($30) that had a bunch of flashcard questions..,,though they are not multiple choice. Search "EPPP" in hhe app store and it will come up in the top few choices. I didn't use it much bc my foundational knowledge was solid, but I can see it being helpful for some. There is a lite version that is available for free. *i have no connection to whomever made this app*

It is probably best to study with the medium you usually take notes and study with.

Personally, I prefer taking notes with a pencil and paper. I spent $0 on hand-me-down materials. I highly recommend this method if you aren't buried in your gadgets yet.

Do you remember which app it was? The ones I've seen (although admittedly my search has been very, very cursory thus far) are much pricier than that. If I could find something for $35 that was actually helpful, that'd be great. Feel free to PM the reply.

It is just labeled EPPP on the app store. It is all flashcard format, and no multiple choice. I tried the Upward Mobility App for a while, which does have m.c., but I found that it did not increase my actual retention of the material; rather I just developed heuristics and context recall for the answer sets. With the iPad app, I had to actully generate the answers, and after going over them again and again, I really knew it.

One thing I liked was the ability to eliminate cards I knew, flag cards I needed to see again, and then to be able to generate reviews based on flagged cards by content section, random quiz sets, or the total deck.

I ended up scoring 80% on the exam.

*I also am not linked to this app in any way.

+1 to everything above. The one caveat I would make is that ppl will want to make sure they are comfortable with the MC format. I am not a good MC test taker, so reviewing test taking strategy and doing a bunch of practice exams helped me get more comfortable with the format and learn to watch out for GOTCHA questions. There were a few on the exam, mostly to do with specific wording of a question (more subtle than "always" or "never" inclusions).

When I was studying for the EPPP exam I used the cutoff scores recommended by my test materials to gauge my readiness. I used an old version of PsychPrep materials. When I "passed" each practice test, I really was ready to move on to the next level, and eventually to sit for the EPPP test. (I have no connection with PsychPrep.)

While studying for the exam, and after having passed it, I created a website with suggestions on how to study for the exam called: How To Pass The EPPP Exam Without Even Studying! Despite its flip sounding name it gives solid advice on preparation. For example, I was originally unaware of the difference between preparing with regular flashcards versus preparing with flashcards that use a sophisticated learning algorithm that told me the optimal time to review my study material. This alone saved me a lot of worry and time studying content that I needed to memorize. Don't believe those who tell you that flashcards don't help. If you can't remember key concepts and key words it doesn't matter how well you "understand" the concepts. Flashcards using an spaced repetition algorithm are state of the art. The SuperMemo Program has the strongest research behind it. I mention this program not because I discuss it on my site, but because of the extensive research that has gone into its ongoing development over the past 20 years. It is simply the best researched software that uses a spaced repetition learning algorithm to memorize items.

(Note: I posted this here in error. After posting it I learned I should have posted it in the Classified Section due to the fact that I am the creator of the site I mention, and I am a SuperMemo affiliate (and believer!). I will post in the Classified Section in the future!)

Last edited:
Hello all. I am scheduled to take the EPPP in three weeks. I am scoring in the high 60s to mid 70s on all my practice tests (I have recently been taking two a week). What were other people scoring before they passed the real exam? Also, the practice tests I am using are academic review.
did you pass? I am scheduled this Wednesday - have studied basic concepts, used AATBS practice tests, went to the four day seminar - I still am not passing the final practice tests - close (68%) but not passing - anyone have any feedback? I am really getting nervous and I don't want this to impact my cognitive flexibility the day of the test. THANKS!

Reactions: 1 user
did you pass? I am scheduled this Wednesday - have studied basic concepts, used AATBS practice tests, went to the four day seminar - I still am not passing the final practice tests - close (68%) but not passing - anyone have any feedback? I am really getting nervous and I don't want this to impact my cognitive flexibility the day of the test. THANKS!

I just took the EPPP yesterday morning. I used Psychprep mainly - the online tests (#5, a-e) and their 36 CD lectures. I took notes. I had an old set of books from Academic Review (2009) that I basically used to take their practice quizes in the back of the sections. If I did not do well on the practice quiz, I read the section.

I had a set of flashcards (1000). I also took the PEPP Asppb practice exam (#100 questions) and passed it with a 550. I also paid $30 to visit the testing site and practice using their computers so I wouldn't be anxious. I studied for 2 months just about every day for 4 to 6 hours.

Anyway, I feel really depressed because I really don't think I passed it. I forgot about the extra 25 questions because I was so used to taking a 200 item question, and thought I had 30 more minutes to check my marked answers. I didn't because there were 25 more questions! Just barely got through those before my time was up. I swear that only about 1/2 the questions looked familiar. Some of them might as well have been written in Greek because I simply had to guess.
:confused:
The pain is, I won't even know for three weeks if I passed the dang thing!!

Everyone comes out of the EPPP feeling like they failed. I was 50/50 when I exited. You need to think that at the very least you had a chance to see what the items were like. First time pass rates are pretty high, so don't freak out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all -

I can't thank you enough for your comments about practice exams. I've been studying for close to a year (minus 5 months of slacking hehe) using PsychPrep materials and have been hitting it relatively hard the past two months or so. I've listened to all the AATBS and PsychPrep audios, read through PsychPrep's full materials 3 times (and maybe I'll do a 4th) and have only recently started taking practice tests.
Whoops! That's when I lost all my confidence. Well, needless to say I was more than disheartened after my first one. I stopped halfway through and just read the right answers without guessing. My second one, I finished but had such an angry visceral response I had to go for a walk lol :boom: (I scored in the low 60s).
I've taken another exam from that same source (I don't know what it is) and scored a few % pts higher, but then took PsychPrep A and got a 58%!! Those questions were SO ridiculous I literally laughed at times...

I took this week off work to cram before my test this coming Monday and felt so disheartened about my performance on the tests that I was going to call Prometric tomorrow to reschedule.

Buuuut...after reading the responses here, I feel much more relieved. And I still have 4 full days left to study :D

Any :love: you send my way will be greatly appreciated! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it three weeks ago - had been scoring well on practice tests - demoralizing 498 with capitalized FAIL on my scores - ugh

I have been studying heavily for the past 3.5 months using AATBS. My first practice test online was a 49 (very demoralizing). I increased consistently with my top score being a 64. I took the EPPP today and feel like I must've failed it. It seemed like I only KNEW about 50 of the answers confidently. A good portion of the rest I was able to narrow the responses down to two and then make my best guess. The rest were just a shot in the dark. I really don't want to have to study all over but may not have a choice. Oh well, I'll know in a couple weeks.

I can't seem to get above a 70 on AR and I am stuck in the low 60's for AATBS......I plan to test in mid January just before the 15th.

The waiting game to get results is no fun at all. Keeping myself distracted by catching up on projects around the house.

I don't find data like that particularly helpful - if you usually need to spend a lot of time studying for exams, spend more time studying. Matching some number of hours seems silly to me, it should be about your comfort with the content.

I agree with you and really how was all of this measured and how does it transfer to different learners, you know that whole external validity and generalizability aspect of things. I for one know I have attention issues and need to go over and over and over. When I read that study I felt like a piece of crap wondering what I am doing wrong. Although I do not think I am above that time frame yet.....

I have been studying heavily for the past 3.5 months using AATBS. My first practice test online was a 49 (very demoralizing). I increased consistently with my top score being a 64. I took the EPPP today and feel like I must've failed it. It seemed like I only KNEW about 50 of the answers confidently. A good portion of the rest I was able to narrow the responses down to two and then make my best guess. The rest were just a shot in the dark. I really don't want to have to study all over but may not have a choice. Oh well, I'll know in a couple weeks.
I took the EPPP on the same day as you and the waiting is killing me. Any word? The worst is not knowing how I'll receive the score - online, in the mail, website?!?! arrgh!

I took the EPPP on the same day as you and the waiting is killing me. Any word? The worst is not knowing how I'll receive the score - online, in the mail, website?!?! arrgh!

I believe the scores are released to the respective state licensing office 1-2 business days after the 1st and 15th of each month, and then they notify you. Each state licensing board (technically the office/dept that overseas healthcare provider related matters) has their own process for notifying test takers, so you should check with your state licensing office to see how they do it: snail-mail, e-mail, etc. My score sat on someone's desk a few extra days because they were on vacation and didn't process it prior to their leaving (req. to be snail-mailed)...not that I'm still bitter about it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can try to check online if you feel your state is being slow at reporting. Go to the ASPPB's website and go through as if you are registering for the EPPP (assuming you registered an account the first time), after you log on, there is a place you can click "retrieve my scores" - hopefully it will be there for you if your state is being slow.

My state used the strategy of phone calls when i took it. I found it highly stressful because you never knew what time of day it would come or where you would be when the call happened.

:luck:
Dr. E

when i took it, a person from the licensing board called me and told me i passed; this was prior to receiving the actual scores in the mail. It was prior to the holidays and they were just being nice. I wouldn't fret so much about it.

Oh, and scores on practice tests were between 55-75 percent. Score on actual test = 93 or 94% (i don't remember exactly, was one of those). People stress out when they take exams; i think that's the biggest killer.

wow....93%!

Yeah. That and 2 bucks will get me a cup of coffee. What I wanted to do was answer just enough to pass, you know walk out when I was sure I had enough correct. But I was too chicken.

Well, you must be a quite a bright individual.....that is an accomplishment.

Well, the other post doc with whom I work took the same test at the same site on the same day as me and the Virginia Board of Psychology is showing him as licensed. However, my name is absent from that list so I can only surmise that I failed the exam. It's a very demoralizing feeling made even worse by the fact that my access to AATBS will expire next month. I plan to retest on April 15, allowing me 16 weeks to study. I will update the forum when I receive my actual scores. My last pretest before the exam was a 62. Happy holidays to everyone, I'm off to study.

Well, the other post doc with whom I work took the same test at the same site on the same day as me and the Virginia Board of Psychology is showing him as licensed. However, my name is absent from that list so I can only surmise that I failed the exam. It's a very demoralizing feeling made even worse by the fact that my access to AATBS will expire next month. I plan to retest on April 15, allowing me 16 weeks to study. I will update the forum when I receive my actual scores. My last pretest before the exam was a 62. Happy holidays to everyone, I'm off to study.

I am sorry ot hear that. I plan to test next month and I am having a lot of anxiety. I am surprised for an AATBS test that is a rreasonable score and I have heard of people not getting oout of the 50's and passing by a wide margin on the EPPP.

It is a very costly and anxiety provoking experience. I am studying and studying and it just seems like so much information (specific and detailed) to asborb. Having the holidays and a child and another due in February does not help my focus!

So far I am 68, 68, 72 on AR tests. I have a 65 and 65 on AATBS.....

:mad:

I was hoping to test January 14th.....

I received my letter today telling me I did not pass the EPPP and that my scaled score was a 498. I needed a 500 to pass. This totally sucks, but nothing I can do about it except study again, save up more $, and take it again. I'm shooting for end of March. If that's the case then I will have invested 7 months of study time and a enormous amt of money to finally be licensed. Oh well, back to the books.

I received my letter today telling me I did not pass the EPPP and that my scaled score was a 498. I needed a 500 to pass. This totally sucks, but nothing I can do about it except study again, save up more $, and take it again. I'm shooting for end of March. If that's the case then I will have invested 7 months of study time and a enormous amt of money to finally be licensed. Oh well, back to the books.

I am sorry to hear that. I am really surprised by the variability. I have read so many people that score worse that what you stated for practice tests and pass by a large margin....

Are you going to continue to use AATBS????

Possible update? Today I received a letter from the Department of Health in RI (dated 12/27) stating that my application was received and that in order to be licensed in the state, I needed to submit my post-doc form. (I'm half way through my postdoc at the moment and originally applied for temporary permit back in July - when I was approved to sit for EPPP)

Is this good news? Is this non-news? Can I draw any conclusions from this letter?

So sorry to hear this PumaPhreak. :( I was really rooting for you! I hope the next go-round is smooth. I am still waiting for official word and I'm not at all comfortable with this process.

Possible update? Today I received a letter from the Department of Health in RI (dated 12/27) stating that my application was received and that in order to be licensed in the state, I needed to submit my post-doc form. (I'm half way through my postdoc at the moment and originally applied for temporary permit back in July - when I was approved to sit for EPPP)

Is this good news? Is this non-news? Can I draw any conclusions from this letter?

I am confused...did you already take the EPPP and are waiting for results? They are stating you cannot be fully licensed until post doc is complete. Other than that I am not sure if you can say you passed or not if you are trying to draw a conclsuion about exam performance......

I am confused...did you already take the EPPP and are waiting for results? They are stating you cannot be fully licensed until post doc is complete. Other than that I am not sure if you can say you passed or not if you are trying to draw a conclsuion about exam performance......

Yes, I'm sorry. I took the EPPP on 12/12 and posted about it a few messages above. I heard from the board back in July about my application being approved for temp permit (meaning I needed to collect postdoc hours and also sit for EPPP before being fully licensed). Apart from taking the exam, there are no new developments in my application... hence no need to contact me suddenly out of the blue. Given that the letter I received today was dated 12/27, I have to assume it has something to do with the board receiving my scores - they would have been released a few days after the 15th.

Does your state have a waiting period to retake the EPPP? I had a friend in a state that would have had to wait for 6 months between tests and she did not want to do that. She found a state with a lesser requirement, applied for licensure in that state, took the test and then transferred it back to her state. Just in case it is relevant.

Best of luck,
Dr. E

Does your state have a waiting period to retake the EPPP? I had a friend in a state that would have had to wait for 6 months between tests and she did not want to do that. She found a state with a lesser requirement, applied for licensure in that state, took the test and then transferred it back to her state. Just in case it is relevant.

Best of luck,
Dr. E

Wow.......... 6 months!

My state does not have a waiting period, it only states that you can re-test once within the next 12 months. I am planning to re-test at the end of Feb.

Best of luck,
Dr. E

I'm still going to use AATBS but am changing my study habits a bit. I don't plan to take any more practice tests, perhaps one more. But am primarily re-reading the text and answering the section review questions. I'm gonna try to take it by the end of February. Let us know when you get your results.

I am sorry to hear that. I am really surprised by the variability. I have read so many people that score worse that what you stated for practice tests and pass by a large margin....

Are you going to continue to use AATBS????

I took the EPPP on December 21st and am still awaiting scores. My friend from grad school recommended Academic Review which is the only program I used- took eight practice tests and highest score was a 63; didn't realize there were so many other study options. Hopefully I will not need to study again. The waiting game sucks :(

I took the EPPP on December 21st and am still awaiting scores. My friend from grad school recommended Academic Review which is the only program I used- took eight practice tests and highest score was a 63; didn't realize there were so many other study options. Hopefully I will not need to study again. The waiting game sucks :(

Hoping you did well on the EPPP. Please update us on the results when you hear something, which should be soon.

My program gave us AATBS materials as a graduation "gift" (lol gift - we totally paid for it with our tuition). I just completed reading through the workbooks for all the different subject areas once each (taking chapter exams along the way), and have also listened to the cd's for each subject area twice. I'll take a practice exam this weekend, and then after that I'll alternate between additional studying (using a previously mentioned EPPP phone app, looking over the AATBS self-paced workshop handouts, and re-reading sections of AATBS workbooks as needed based on practice exam scores) and more practice questions/exams.

I plan on taking the exam in mid-to-late March (I originally wanted to take the exam and receive my results before my birthday in early March, but unfortunately I slacked a bit too much thanks to my postdoc, and some general lack of motivation).

Best of luck to everyone who recently took the exam, and to those of us in the studying phase!

Last edited:
I just went through a retired questions exam. It was like 250 questions and scored an 85 on that...I am hoping that means I am in pretty good shape. I got 34 wrong total. Mostly stats and research questions. The wording was crazy. Other than that I made a few booboos with answers I knew but fell into the "testing trap" on and missed.

Hoping you did well on the EPPP. Please update us on the results when you hear something, which should be soon.

I passed with a 550. It is just starting to sink in. Good luck studying- rooting for you.

After reading through AATBS materials once thru (and listening to its cd's), I took my first AATBS practice test and got a 67%. I know that's fine given the tendency for these exams (especially AATBS) to underestimate your true score, but it's still hard not to be a little disappointed.

A couple more months of practice exams, re-reading as needed, and EPPP iphone app here I come!

After reading through AATBS materials once thru (and listening to its cd's), I took my first AATBS practice test and got a 67%. I know that's fine given the tendency for these exams (especially AATBS) to underestimate your true score, but it's still hard not to be a little disappointed.

A couple more months of practice exams, re-reading as needed, and EPPP iphone app here I come!

FWIW, I never passed a practice exam and did fine on the actual exam.

FWIW, I never passed a practice exam and did fine on the actual exam.

Well, I hope I have the same experience. I have marginally passed the AATBS practice tests and two AR tests so I am hoping I will pass the EPPP next week. I did pass the PEPPO with a 75 December 3rd, and received an 85 on the 250 question retired question "exam" last week.