equipment needed for 1st year

Started by doonzey
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doonzey

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
undergrad graduation is coming and people are starting to ask if they can buy we some opt equipment that i will need next year. I am going to OSU next year and I know i have to wait until we have the equipment days at school, but could someone please give me a quick list of what I will need to buy and some companies to look at so i can give my family some answers. Thanks!
 
undergrad graduation is coming and people are starting to ask if they can buy we some opt equipment that i will need next year. I am going to OSU next year and I know i have to wait until we have the equipment days at school, but could someone please give me a quick list of what I will need to buy and some companies to look at so i can give my family some answers. Thanks!

direct ophthalmoscope/retinoscope kit
trial lens set
assorted entrance test crap (prism bar, near point targets, Ishihara book, etc.)

At ICO we choose between Welch-Allyn, Keeler and Heine on the ophthalmoscopes. I frankly have no idea who made my trial lens set, nor do I remember any of the choices.
 
The short answer is.. no. You can look around at equipment, but the cheapest price you'll get is ordering through your school. Just tell them you'll send them the bill when you get your equipment list! =)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
heine
welch allyn
keeler

BUT make sure to tell them not to buy because you get a huge discount when you school order. If they want to start giving you presents for OD school (how sweet!) visa gift cards/cash is the way to go because your equpimnet is going to cost 4-6k by the time your finished getting it all.
 
I'd say $4,000 is pretty accurate by the time you are done with all four years. I wouldn't buy a trial lens set unless you absolutely want one. Most places will have one when you graduate and get a job. Unless of course you're opening your own practice, then I'd say to get one.

A better investment would be Retinoscopy Bars or "Ret Bars", so much easier to ret a child screaming or inattentive.

Retinscope: Keeler best
O-scope: Welsch Allyn or Keeler
BIO: Heine or Keeler

All just my personal opinion in school and out practicing in the real world
 
undergrad graduation is coming and people are starting to ask if they can buy we some opt equipment that i will need next year. I am going to OSU next year and I know i have to wait until we have the equipment days at school, but could someone please give me a quick list of what I will need to buy and some companies to look at so i can give my family some answers. Thanks!

at OSU during your first year, you buy a student diagnostic kit which includes an ophthalmoscope and retinoscope. the companies are heine, keeler, and welch allyn. Welch allyn's student set was the cheapest for us, coming in at about $585
A trial frame is also purchased during first or second year, and it runs about $100 to $120
Then during second year you shell out a ton of money, purchasing a BIO ($1300 - $1700) a variety of lenses ($200-250 each) and a foreign body kit ($200)

Best advice: buy equipment with everyone else so you know exactly what you are supposed to get and to get the best possible prices. The prices above are for students only, and they are heavily discounted. If family members want to purchase equipment for you, it's best that they give you money to set aside for future equipment purchases. That way you will get what you need and in the cheapest way possible.