ERAS and ACLS Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my ACLS certification from the AHA. The card says the "Recommended Renewal Date" is 3/2010. I believe it would be a good idea for me to have current ACLS certification for ERAS....

I've heard many people re-certify ACLS online at a site such as www.aclsonlinerenewal.com, which is not AHA accredited but claims to follow their curriculum. Now, ERAS does not say you have to be re-certified by the AHA, it just asks: "Are you ACLS certified in the USA?" Would the online method therefor be acceptable for ERAS? And how about PALS? Would it look good to have a PALS certification (but I'd get it online but they wouldn't know this)?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that residencies put you through their own ACLS/PALS training. However, if they truly "don't care" if you have it pre-residency, why would they even ask it on ERAS?

Yeah, I'd also like to know the answer to this. Is not being certified in ACLS a big deal when submitting ERAS? Do programs care?

Yeah, I'd also like to know the answer to this. Is not being certified in ACLS a big deal when submitting ERAS? Do programs care?

No...they really, really don't care. You'll probably need to re-up your cert at some point during your intern year anyway so they'll just make you do it at the beginning with all the other fresh meat and be done with it. At my program, even people who took ACLS at our institution during their 4th year were required to take it with the rest of us during orientation. They had taken it ~4 months before (on their own, not required for students) and had just learned the new (at that time) algorithms already.

I honestly have no idea why they ask this question...a more relevant and equally mystical question would be "have you ever been to Akron, OH and if so, why?"