eras disaster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basiligaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my eras on sept 1 and i applied to both psych and path. i feel like now i'm pretty sure i'm doing path
but my disaster is that one of my rec letters is from a psychiatrist who i told i was goinginto psychiatry back when i wanted to do psyc. The letter states that i wish to pursue psych and is very specific. So it has already been uploaded to several path programs that i applied to! is this a very very bad thing or just a very bad thing? Also is there a way i can delete that letter from the programs that have alreay uploaded it. I mean i'm sending a path letter stating i want to be a pahtologist. But to also have a letter there saying i want to be a psychiatrist just seems so so wrong to me
what do i do????

Members don't see this ad.

You should email all the PDs of the Path programs saying: "After much soulsearching, I have decided on path instead of psych. Just keepin' you in the loop." You may or may not want to mention that the "cush" aspects of path really swayed your decision.

Many programs print out copies of your application, so even if you delete the letter from ERAS, that doesn't mean they don't have it. I definitely wouldn't use it for Path programs if it says you want to do Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh oh. Well, I don't think you're irreparably screwed. Obviously get that letter off ERAS so it is not sent to any more path programs. As for the path programs that have already uploaded the letter, do damage control ASAP. I recommend talking to the program coordinator who is usually the one printing things out. Be very nice and polite and ask them to remove the letter from your file and replace it with another letter (a path-oriented letter, which I hope you have). Most all the program coordinators I dealt with were super nice and would probably have been accomodating. If they can take it out, hopefully the issue will be laid to rest - though it may slip through the cracks and you may end up explaining yourself at an interview (which is often the first time your interviewer will have seen your file). They may say they can't remove it, in which case you should probably contact the PD directly and explain what happened up front, and hope for the best.

ok so i am going to contact all the programs and ask if they can get rid of the letter. What about when it says next to the lor on eras --'available but not retrieved'-----do i have to contact those programs too? . I hve already unassigned the letter to all the path programs and plan on contacting those programs that have already downloaded it. but what about the programs that haven't dled it yet but it is available for their download--do they still have access for the letter
geez i'm going crazy! over this

cytoborg said:
Uh oh. Well, I don't think you're irreparably screwed. Obviously get that letter off ERAS so it is not sent to any more path programs. As for the path programs that have already uploaded the letter, do damage control ASAP. I recommend talking to the program coordinator who is usually the one printing things out. Be very nice and polite and ask them to remove the letter from your file and replace it with another letter (a path-oriented letter, which I hope you have). Most all the program coordinators I dealt with were super nice and would probably have been accomodating. If they can take it out, hopefully the issue will be laid to rest - though it may slip through the cracks and you may end up explaining yourself at an interview (which is often the first time your interviewer will have seen your file). They may say they can't remove it, in which case you should probably contact the PD directly and explain what happened up front, and hope for the best.

I'm not sure about that...maybe you could ask the ERAS contact person at your school? Or call the ERAS people? Have you explored the website and tried to take it off?

Try not to worry too much. It sounds like it only affected a few of the programs and while it is creating more work for you now, come interview and ranklist time hopefully the whole thing will be forgotten by all. Oh, and by the way, congrats on choosing path. :thumbup:

cytoborg said:
I'm not sure about that...maybe you could ask the ERAS contact person at your school? Or call the ERAS people? Have you explored the website and tried to take it off?

Try not to worry too much. It sounds like it only affected a few of the programs and while it is creating more work for you now, come interview and ranklist time hopefully the whole thing will be forgotten by all. Oh, and by the way, congrats on choosing path. :thumbup:

agreed...hound the eras people and/or your school... someone should be able to rid the letter; of course programs that already downloaded it will need an email informing them of the "update."