ERAS Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laplace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but just wondering how important the personal statement truly is, especially for the top 5-10 programs.

I have the credentials to be competitive at these places but the feedback I've gotten on my personal statement is that it's a standard residency personal statement, nothing that stands out or makes me more appealing than others.

I ask this because I want to know whether I should spend more time on my personal statement (would likely restart from scratch) to make it truly stand out (not sure if I can even make it that much better) or if I would be better off enjoying 4th year, looking into programs, and getting ERAS done. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would work on it to make it the best possible. Why submit less than your best?

It depends what you are applying for. Most surgical subspecialties could care less what you write, a boring standard statement is fine. If you are applying into IM, psych, or another specialty it might be more important. If you have spare time to tweak it, go for it. It's unlikely to make a huge difference if the rest of your app is solid, it may provide some conversation fodder for interviews.

Oh sorry my topic got moved from the IM forum, I'll be applying to IM.