ERAS SOAP email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flesnowdaone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those going through match this year, I wish everyone good luck next week. I know we are supposed to receive email from NRMP tomorrow Friday that applicant is SOAP eligible. However, I also received an email today from ERAS saying I will receive SOAP eligibility email from NRMP with instruction on how to be prepared for SOAP. Did anyone else receive this email?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. The NRMP just wants you to know they got you by the balls with daily SOAP emails.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s just another reminder to keep people who didn’t read the first email from freaking out tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bad year for the SOAP process. The entire system has been technologically challenged and though most students could put in their applications on Monday, it has essentially been shut down since then so that programs can not look at their applicants yet!

Reactions: 1 user
This is a bad year for the SOAP process. The entire system has been technologically challenged and though most students could put in their applications on Monday, it has essentially been shut down since then so that programs can not look at their applicants yet!
I heard that. Did they announce a reason?

I heard that. Did they announce a reason?
Technical difficulties is all that they said. But this is totally insane. The NRMP and ERAS system are well-known to be unfriendly to any applicant who misses a deadline or makes a mistake entering their match list. But now that the problem is on their end, radio silence. Some heads will definitely roll as a result of this screw up, but it is so difficult on the poor students who are just sitting and waiting to hear from the programs to which they applied in SOAP.

Technical difficulties is all that they said. But this is totally insane. The NRMP and ERAS system are well-known to be unfriendly to any applicant who misses a deadline or makes a mistake entering their match list. But now that the problem is on their end, radio silence. Some heads will definitely roll as a result of this screw up, but it is so difficult on the poor students who are just sitting and waiting to hear from the programs to which they applied in SOAP.
Yes. Very much so.

My question was maybe there were more way more applicants soaping this year and the system wasn’t ready for that many?

Yes. Very much so.

My question was maybe there were more way more applicants soaping this year and the system wasn’t ready for that many?
We don't know that for sure. But the NRMP and ERAS people did know how many people were SOAP-eligible and how many had matched, so they should have known how many people to expect to be interested in SOAP.

Dumb question....is the SOAP process hindered by an ever-growing number of DO students and IMGs?

We have a family friend, a US MD 2018 grad that only matched prelim last year, and sadly this year didn’t match for PGY2. Above average Step, but going for a competitive residency. SOAP this year does not look promising.

Is each year going to get worse with a unified Match coming and more and more IMGs participating?

yes, and add to it that there are even more MD spots every year too. Some med schools are growing, and new ones are starting every year.If these doctors all go into primary care, that is fine. But they won't. This year, it was OB that was one of the hardest matches compared to recent years.