ERAS & Step 2 Release (A question for aPD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search but I didn't find much.

I am scheduled to take USMLE Step 2 CK before August 3rd so the my scores can be released with my ERAS application on September 1st (as I really want to include my Step 2 scores as part of my application).

My question is for aProgramDirector: if I push my exam back after August 3rd and the score reporting is delayed to September 28th on ERAS, how big of a deal is this?

How many programs are running out of the gates inviting students for interviews on September 1st (the majority, a few, only the super competitive specialities, etc.)?

Is there a generic "cut-off day" when programs start looking at the 2012 ERAS applications? I ask this because I've spoken with a few programs that stated that they don't even start thinking about (downloading) ERAS applications until October "because they are still focused on the new residents."

I appreciated the feedback from aPD or anyone else that has experience with ERAS.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search but I didn't find much.

I am scheduled to take USMLE Step 2 CK before August 3rd so the my scores can be released with my ERAS application on September 1st (as I really want to include my Step 2 scores as part of my application).

My question is for aProgramDirector: if I push my exam back after August 3rd and the score reporting is delayed to September 28th on ERAS, how big of a deal is this?

How many programs are running out of the gates inviting students for interviews on September 1st (the majority, a few, only the super competitive specialities, etc.)?

Is there a generic "cut-off day" when programs start looking at the 2012 ERAS applications? I ask this because I've spoken with a few programs that stated that they don't even start thinking about (downloading) ERAS applications until October "because they are still focused on the new residents."

I appreciated the feedback.

The answers to every single one of your questions is the same. "It depends." It's going to be very program specific. But honestly, October and November is when programs really start to look at apps. There are some (usually moderately and less competitive) programs that send out invites based on very early stuff in ERAS (I had several invites in the first week of September).

But keep in mind that this is an iterative process on everyone's part. It's not like programs make one run through their apps on Day X and then that's it (at least not the vast majority of programs...exceptions exist for hypercompetitive specialties and programs). Most of them will send out invites either in several batches (2-5) or trickle them out as they see fit.

Bottom line...don't worry about it.

Thanks for the feedback, gutonc. Your posts have been very helpful on SDN--thank you for the time you take to help students. :thumbup:

The answers to every single one of your questions is the same. "It depends." It's going to be very program specific. But honestly, October and November is when programs really start to look at apps. There are some (usually moderately and less competitive) programs that send out invites based on very early stuff in ERAS (I had several invites in the first week of September).

But keep in mind that this is an iterative process on everyone's part. It's not like programs make one run through their apps on Day X and then that's it (at least not the vast majority of programs...exceptions exist for hypercompetitive specialties and programs). Most of them will send out invites either in several batches (2-5) or trickle them out as they see fit.

Bottom line...don't worry about it.

Good to hear that. Because I am in same kind of situation, but regarding Step 3. So basically I will be giving it on 12-13 Sep and expect to get score by end of Sep, and then update the transcript to programs.

But some people say that chances of getting calls decrease if you submit your complete profile late as programs have already sent all or most of the interview calls to the applicants with complete information early on in Sep and don't really look on updated/new application in late Sep to early Oct.

Could PD's and other seniors please help in clarifying on this further.

Could PD's and other seniors please help in clarifying on this further.

Did you read my post or just quote it? What more clarification do you think you can get? It depends. Full stop. Discussion over.

May I make a suggestion based on the kinds of questions you've asked here recently?

Focus on the things you have control over (getting your CAF done, getting your LORs and transcripts in to ECFMG, writing a good PS, etc) and ignore the things you can't control (when programs offer interviews and how complete your app needs to be to get an interview, how many spots each program has, unpublished Step cutoffs, etc). Your entire focus so far has been on the things you can't control and if you keep that up you're going to go crazy before the MSPE is released.