Eric Kandell and biological psychology

Started by gaki
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gaki

needs help
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How relevant is Eric Kandell and biological psychology to psychiatry? I'm just trying to get a quick feel for this.
 
Eric Kandel trained as a psychiatrist, sometime back in the Dark Ages.

Things are a bit different today, though. Biology is ultra-specialized, and you need a lot of training to get anywhere.

If you are interested in working with Aplysia, I would suggest you get a Ph.D., or at least some basic research training while you are in med school.

If you are interested in clinical psychiatry or psychology, I don't think you'll find much cellular/molecular biology there once you get out of school.
 
Has anyone here read any of Eric Kandel's reviews/opinions on psychiatry and psychoanalysis? I am referring specifically to these two articles:
A New Intellectual Framework for Psychiatry (Am J Psychiatry 1998 155:457)
of Biology in the Future Psychoanalysis: A New Intellectual Framework for Psychiatry Revisited (Am J Psychiatry 1998 156: 505)