Error in PhD app - re: credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psich

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very concerned about a huge mistake I made on my grad school apps. After sending in my apps, I realized I accidentally listed a dean's list merit on my app/CV which I did not get. I believed that I had it for that semester but after reviewing my transcripts (after sending my apps in), I realized that I did not get it. It was NOT my intention at all to put something down I didn't do and it was an honest mistake. Since I sent all my apps in, what should I do now? Is it all over for me? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I am very concerned about a huge mistake I made on my grad school apps. After sending in my apps, I realized I accidentally listed a dean's list merit on my app/CV which I did not get. I believed that I had it for that semester but after reviewing my transcripts (after sending my apps in), I realized that I did not get it. It was NOT my intention at all to put something down I didn't do and it was an honest mistake. Since I sent all my apps in, what should I do now? Is it all over for me? :(

Hate to say it, but no one's probably going to notice something like that. If it were a research grant, I'd correct it. Otherwise, I'd not even mention it unless someone brought it up (very unlikely that they would). I'm not advocating lying; I'm just trying to say it's not a big deal.

I'm with krisrox on this. It sounds like maybe you had the dean's list merit for some semesters, just not this particular one? If that's the case, leave it. Someone *might* notice a completely fabricated honor (*might*), but definitely not something that's just off by a semester. At most, they'll think "Oh, this person didn't read his/her transcripts carefully."

I had a similar situation with my C.V. last year -- in retrospect, I think the process of trying to get it fixed only brought more unwanted attention to the mistake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone. I know that the dean's list isn't anything special; the main thing I was worried about was them thinking that I intentionally put down false information. I'm relieved to hear it's not such a big deal.