Error in qVault biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRZ24

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took one of their free tests. Here is one of the question

Which of the following is not considered a valid mechanism of evolution?

a)natural selection
b)genetic drift
c)mutation
d)inbreeding
e)gene flow

the correct answer is inbreeding. It provides this explanation:

Evolution can be defined as a change in allele frequencies over time. Inbreeding is not a valid mechanism of evolution because allele frequencies do not change over time within an inbreed population.

I believe AP cliff bio listed inbreeding(non random mating) as one of the causes that change allele frequency.

wth??

Members don't see this ad.

Also. Do you think it's worth it to buy the practice test ? If so, should I buy all or just bio?

thanks.

I think the non random mating thing has to deal with the Hardy Weinberg equation and saying you have to have non random mating to use the equation.

I just took one of their free tests. Here is one of the question

Which of the following is not considered a valid mechanism of evolution?

a)natural selection
b)genetic drift
c)mutation
d)inbreeding
e)gene flow

the correct answer is inbreeding. It provides this explanation:

Evolution can be defined as a change in allele frequencies over time. Inbreeding is not a valid mechanism of evolution because allele frequencies do not change over time within an inbreed population.

I believe AP cliff bio listed inbreeding(non random mating) as one of the causes that change allele frequency.

wth??

No. With an inbred population, the allele frequencies will stabilize to show one genotype because close relatives with similar/same genotypes will be mating. This question is just testing to see if you know the postulates of evolution though, and inbreeding isn't one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. With an inbred population, the allele frequencies will stabilize to show one genotype because close relatives with similar/same genotypes will be mating. This question is just testing to see if you know the postulates of evolution though, and inbreeding isn't one of them.

So you are saying cliff AP biology is wrong??? Page 134 #5

When I first learned this I thought of the same thing. It is really counterintuitive to think that inbreeding causes allele frequency to change but AP cliff listed it as one of them.

I think the non random mating thing has to deal with the Hardy Weinberg equation and saying you have to have non random mating to use the equation.

What?

you can only use hardy-weinberg equation if mating IS random..