Errors in FA (or other review books)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought this might cut down on the amt. of time spent looking through other books to figure out if it is indeed an "error" -- also keeps you from going insane trying to figure out why the books disagrees whith what you think you knew pretty well.

I'll start it off:
FA 2004 Path section on Blood Dyscrasias (pp 239) Lists "Crew cut" on skull x-ray as a feature of sickle cell anemia when it is actually seen in association with B-thal major. :confused: Thought I was goin crazy, checked Robbins, Robbins agrees its B-thal not SCA.

Post more if you got 'em

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't count out the "crew cut" for SC so quickly. I had thought the same thing when I was doing review questions through either Qbank or Appleton and Lange review book (can't recall which one it was) and l picked Thalassemia and the answer was Sickle Cell. :confused:

Bottom line: I would concentrate more on the other info in the question stem. "Knee jerk" responses is my biggest downfall in preparing for this test.

Are all secondary to expansion of the marrow cavity, which is itself due to enhanced RBC hyperplasia. Thus, ANY SEVERE ANEMIA can cause these signs. Good luck w/ your studies :luck: :luck: !!!

Willamette

Members don't see this ad :)
FA 2004. pg 276. says that cystine stones are radiolucent. (pg. 1615 harrisons says it's radioopaque "due to the sulfur content")

FA pg 314. diagram on CV therapy. arrow for sympathetic discharge is flipped and should be pointed up.

BRS path. pg 277.
they define trousseau's sign as migratory thrombophlebitis.
this is not correct, trousseau's sign is carpopedal spasm after inflation of blood pressure cuff for hypocalcemic tetany. trousseau's syndrome is migratory thrombophlebitis seen in visceral cancers, often in pancreatic adenocarcinoma.

nuclearrabbit77 said:
BRS path. pg 277.
this is not correct, trousseau's sign is carpopedal spasm after inflation of blood pressure cuff for hypocalcemic tetany. trousseau's syndrome is migratory thrombophlebitis seen in visceral cancers, often in pancreatic adenocarcinoma.

Yea I was just looking at that myself. You're 100% right.

nuclearrabbit77 said:
BRS path. pg 277.

hehe, i thought my mind was playing tricks on me every time i read pp 277...cuz , i could remember reading something different about T. sign somewhere else. Never took time to confirm.
Thanks for the clarification.

Trousseau's syndrome or the Trousseau sign both relate to visceral malignancy, while Trousseau's sign as pertaining to tetany deals with low serum Ca++. As long as you know what the clinical presentation is, the wording shouldnt matter (i.e., you are not going to have to choose between a sign and a syndrome).

The biggest problem, I think, is going through any review book and not referencing topics that you think are incorrect, whether in Robbins or Guyton or Moore or whatever. There are errors, especially in student-driven publications, and catching them will actually show how much you do know.

i agree it is low yield, nevertheless, it is inaccurate.

Idiopathic said:
Trousseau's syndrome or the Trousseau sign both relate to visceral malignancy, while Trousseau's sign as pertaining to tetany deals with low serum Ca++. As long as you know what the clinical presentation is, the wording shouldnt matter (i.e., you are not going to have to choose between a sign and a syndrome).

The biggest problem, I think, is going through any review book and not referencing topics that you think are incorrect, whether in Robbins or Guyton or Moore or whatever. There are errors, especially in student-driven publications, and catching them will actually show how much you do know.

FA2004. pg 203. HIV diagnosis. "...western blot assay(specific, high false negative rate...."

false negative rate is defined as "the likelihood that a diseased patient has a normal test result". (Sox et.al, Medical Decision Making p.110)

what it should say is "a low false positive rate".

here are the relevant equations you need to know to understand this:

TPR=true positive rate
TNR=true negative rate
FPR=false positive rate
FNR=false negative rate

Sensitivity = TPR = a/a+c
Specificity= TNR = d/b+d
FNR = 1 - TPR
FPR= 1- TNR

thus, the western blot assay with the assumption that it is a very specific test, should have a very high true negative rate. And a very high TNR has a very low false positive rate. Thus, the statement in First Aid is doubly incorrect;-
1)-TPR and FNR are dependent on sensitivity.
2)-a good test (even if it were a "SnOUT") would have a low false negative rate not a high one.

the next error i saw today was on FA 2004 pg 197,

On the bottom for Delta virus, the Capsid symmetry i believe should be icosahedral. just like Hep B, the source of it's capsid to begin with.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/virus/delta/2000/classification.html

i'm not so sure about what i said about hep D. hep D gets its envelope from hep B, but that's different than the nucleocapsid geometry...... which wouldn't have to make it icosohedral... if anyone could clarify which type of nucleocapsid geometry hep D has that'd be great..i have two conflicting sources on this one...

someone just started a new thread on this so I figure lets bring the old one back too.

bump