errrr need to get in!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeSD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waiting sucks..this is my forth year applying to optometry school...
finally got 3 interviews this year..and now just waiting...I think Ive been waiting long enough..
I need to get in already!!

Members don't see this ad.

yea hopefully dedication is enough to get me in
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting sucks..this is my forth year applying to optometry school...
finally got 3 interviews this year..and now just waiting...I think Ive been waiting long enough..
I need to get in already!!

Whoa! What hapend ?

Just wondering, which and did any schools give you feedback on why you were not accepted? Some do point it out to you, and there are optometry students who are reapplicants.

Good luck!

Hang in there, Mike.

This is my third year applying (however I only applied to Waterloo in my first 2 tries - interviewed each year). I interviewed at Waterloo, SCCO and ICO this year, and was given 2/3 acceptances so far. (If you applied to SCCO another spot will be opening up).

In my experience, persistence pays off and if this is what you really want to do (seems like it), you will.

Cheers.

Hang in there, Mike.

This is my third year applying (however I only applied to Waterloo in my first 2 tries - interviewed each year). I interviewed at Waterloo, SCCO and ICO this year, and was given 2/3 acceptances so far. (If you applied to SCCO another spot will be opening up).

In my experience, persistence pays off and if this is what you really want to do (seems like it), you will.

Cheers.

I'm assuming you didn't apply to american schools due to the exponential tuitition relative to UWO ?

I'm assuming you didn't apply to american schools due to the exponential tuitition relative to UWO ?

Yeah, I was 2nd and 3rd year undergrad (finishing my Biology degree in... 3 days) and I'm in Canada. My parents really wanted me to stay up here because of tuition, cost of living, etc. The Canadian dollar had some rough times back then.

It was all or nothing this year (even though I only applied to 3)... and I was determined to get a seat somewhere.

Luckily, I will be able to stay in Canada and continue into the profession that I have been dedicated to.

However, in my eyes... what are the US school doing that's so much different as compared to UW? Not that much.

I'm sorry but < $10,000 vs. > $30,000 (per year) in tuition alone is quite shocking. Even with the strong Canadian dollar (at this time), I cannot justify paying triple for ultimately the same education.

Yeah, I was 2nd and 3rd year undergrad (finishing my Biology degree in... 3 days) and I'm in Canada. My parents really wanted me to stay up here because of tuition, cost of living, etc. The Canadian dollar had some rough times back then.

It was all or nothing this year (even though I only applied to 3)... and I was determined to get a seat somewhere.

Luckily, I will be able to stay in Canada and continue into the profession that I have been dedicated to.

However, in my eyes... what are the US school doing that's so much different as compared to UW? Not that much.

I'm sorry but < $10,000 vs. > $30,000 (per year) in tuition alone is quite shocking. Even with the strong Canadian dollar (at this time), I cannot justify paying triple for ultimately the same education.

There probably isn't much of a difference between american and canadian optometry schools, but I guess you would have to experience both to conclude the indifference.

I dont know why, but even though the tuition is exceptionally higher in the states, I'd really like to study there. I just want to get out of Canada, for some illogical reason. :oops:

Anyways, good luck to you :D

There probably isn't much of a difference between american and canadian optometry schools, but I guess you would have to experience both to conclude the indifference.

I dont know why, but even though the tuition is exceptionally higher in the states, I'd really like to study there. I just want to get out of Canada, for some illogical reason. :oops:

Anyways, good luck to you :D

I kind of agree with Gochi........even though the tuition is much, much cheaper at waterloo than it is in the states...I also want to leave Canada and live in the States.....I think it will be very fun...in addition to being a great learning experience.....

I kind of agree with Gochi........even though the tuition is much, much cheaper at waterloo than it is in the states...I also want to leave Canada and live in the States.....I think it will be very fun...in addition to being a great learning experience.....

I agree with both of you, it would be great to study in the US.
However, I intend to return to practice in Canada and if I went to school down south I would be concerned with the extra work needed to complete both Canadian and American board exams.

Saying that I'm sure it's not that much extra work and could be completed with some dedication.

Where are you both (gochi and Jay12) attending?

I agree with both of you, it would be great to study in the US.
However, I intend to return to practice in Canada and if I went to school down south I would be concerned with the extra work needed to complete both Canadian and American board exams.

Saying that I'm sure it's not that much extra work and could be completed with some dedication.

Where are you both (gochi and Jay12) attending?

I'm also planning on coming back once graduating....but I completely see where you are coming from....from what I have read and heard from friends, the Canadian Boards are favored (i.e. biased?) towards waterloo graduates...and it can become difficult for students graduating from an american institution......but hey, as long as you study hard enough, one should be fine for the exam.....:thumbup:

I'm starting ICO this fall.

Just wondering, which and did any schools give you feedback on why you were not accepted? Some do point it out to you, and there are optometry students who are reapplicants.

Good luck!

My GPA killed it for me. Starting off, I had a gpa under 3.0 (2 years of computer engineering really hurt my overall gpa) and OATS of 330 average and 320 ts. Since then I have been taking many more courses to boost up my GPA, totally about 14 classes. My last 50 units is around 3.6. I have a lot of experience behind my belt. I have interned at a private office for 2 summers, my college eye clinic, managed another private office, while learning lens cutting at another private office. I am now currently working full time as an opthalmic assistant under an optometrist and ophthalmologist while working sats at one of the private office as an optician. I have been ABO AND NCLE certified for a year now. I recently retook my OATS (Feb 29), and got a 350 average and 370 ts. That was when the invitations started rolling in. I got invited to ICO, PCO, SCO, and pacific(this fri). My interviews have all gone exceptionally well. But there is still a chance that I will not get in this year since my interviews were so late in the process.
Currently, I have only heard back from SCO, and I am on the waiting list. Keeping my fingers crossed for the other schools.

that's pretty good stat...i think you will get in...

ive just got the news that I am on the accepted waitlist for ico