Essay - Attributes of Professionalism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what approach everyone took to writing the essay, but the way I approached it was to tie personal experiences into the attributes I believe define "professionalism" in the context of a DPT student.
I am trying to narrow down the attributes/experiences I wrote about now, and was just curious what attributes others might have used in their essays. Clearly there are many attributes that encompass "professionalism".

The main ones I am thinking of using are:
-Specialized Knowledge
-Communication (with patients, peers, and professors/mentors)
-Respect

I am a little iffy on the "specialized knowledge" one. Briefly, my point is that a DPT student should be willing to do what it takes in order to receive all the knowledge they can in order to perform their work in the best way possible. I am just not sure if my personal example will sound conceded or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what approach everyone took to writing the essay, but the way I approached it was to tie personal experiences into the attributes I believe define "professionalism" in the context of a DPT student.
I am trying to narrow down the attributes/experiences I wrote about now, and was just curious what attributes others might have used in their essays. Clearly there are many attributes that encompass "professionalism".

The main ones I am thinking of using are:
-Specialized Knowledge
-Communication (with patients, peers, and professors/mentors)
-Respect

I am a little iffy on the "specialized knowledge" one. Briefly, my point is that a DPT student should be willing to do what it takes in order to receive all the knowledge they can in order to perform their work in the best way possible. I am just not sure if my personal example will sound conceded or not.

I started my essay very similar to your thoughts on attributes of professionalism. Started with seeking and being continuously curious about specialized knowledge, communication/ people skills with my cohort (as a DPT student), and integrity/ honesty. Then, I tied my personal experiences, or experiences during my observation hours to those attributes. So, very similar to yours.

Reactions: 1 user