Essay edge for personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes431

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who used their services and had a good experience, who was your editor?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that a service you have to pay for? I'd never touch one of those. I know plenty of people and teachers/professors who'd edit for me. I had my high school English teacher edit my PS. You have the benefit of being a member of this forum while applying, so take advantage of the fact that you're surrounded by extremely intelligent people who know exactly what a good PS should contain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a service you have to pay for? I'd never touch one of those. I know plenty of people and teachers/professors who'd edit for me. I had my high school English teacher edit my PS. You have the benefit of being a member of this forum while applying, so take advantage of the fact that you're surrounded by extremely intelligent people who know exactly what a good PS should contain.

:thumbup:

Plus, you are able to get input from multiple people here. You're not restricted to just a couple of reviewers.

My friend told me that they just correct some grammar mistakes . . .

depending on the package you purchase, it makes a huge difference what type of service you recieve. i ended up doing the platinum (cost about $350). well worth the money. helped me make the paper more consise, focused, introduced new themes that complemented other ideas flowing on the paper, did the grammer stuff, and made me more confident with what i was submitting.

after many of my peeps saw my results, they opted to use the service as well. i really suggest using the platinum package because the level of detail is much greater than the other packages.

also, it is wise to submit your original draft only after you have recieved input and worked on the paper for an extended amount of time. they better the product you initially submit, the better the final draft will be.

good luck.

i wouldnt suggest submitting your personal statement here on this mass form of communication. the potential for another person taking your personal statement and abusing your writing is to high. that's my opinion and i'm sure people will blast me for suggesting this idea.

I've heard and seen some goof stuff with EssayEdge. Pricy but if you can afford it, it can help. Although I've never used it, when I was in high school, some of my friend's essays became really concise ... these companies basically get rid of the extra garbage you don't need.

i wouldnt suggest submitting your personal statement here on this mass form of communication. the potential for another person taking your personal statement and abusing your writing is to high. that's my opinion and i'm sure people will blast me for suggesting this idea.

Actually, we have a warning message at the top of the page that people should take care who they trust with their PS. We also have a link to the thread of volunteer readers in the sticky at the top of the forum. Many of those readers are already med students and/or have a track record of helpfulness and editing experience. It is always important to use good judgment in the matter of what information you share through a public forum.

That's not a plug against the company. I've never seen their work. So, I can't comment on it.

I can comment that it's almost certainly not worth $350. I mean, seriously, what could they possibly say that would warrant such an outrageous fee? Use the PS readers list. We're free and have a quick turnaround. (Well, I've sucked recently, but I'd say 4 days still isn't horrendous.)

I am not going to say if I used one of those services or not;), but let's face it, unless your editor is your very very close friend or a family member, he/she is not going to put in the same amount of time and effort than someone whom you pay for their time and effort, it's just human nature. Having said that, I think many people overstate the importance of PS, 99% of PS are good, compelling and stuff, a good ps is not going to make you stand out, at least not nearly as much as stellar academics

agree, why would you share your personal experiences and intimate details of your life with a bunch of random people, it just don't make sense

I have no experience with EssayEdge, but $350 is an absurd amount of money to pay for the service when you can get it edited by multiple people on SDN for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the money to spare then use it. I had extra money and I used it. It was helpful.

If you don't have an extra 150+ then don't waste your money.

I agree with this completely. Like two years ago someone posted their entire personal statement in a thread and I was like are you nuts? The girl whose piano teacher told her she had the "hands of a surgeon" at age 8. lol

I would send your personal statement to few reputible posters (those with a decent history with SDN) to get their feedback. Use the $350 and buy yourself something nice, maybe a GPS system for your car or something (totally worth it more)

I totally agree! It has already happened to me!

I am not going to say if I used one of those services or not;), but let's face it, unless your editor is your very very close friend or a family member, he/she is not going to put in the same amount of time and effort than someone whom you pay for their time and effort, it's just human nature. Having said that, I think many people overstate the importance of PS, 99% of PS are good, compelling and stuff, a good ps is not going to make you stand out, at least not nearly as much as stellar academics

I disagree. I spent last summer reviewing personal statements and I put a lot of time into reviewing people's PSes and they were not my family members. I had not yet applied, but I'd already written my PS because of my grad program which I used the same PS for +/- a few changes since I needed to take out the grad school paragraph and replace the conclusion, but I had done that as well by the time I was reviewing PSes. I'd like to think I put a lot of real effort into getting back to people.

I was helping a friend just recently with his here at USF and put quite a bit of time despite finals into helping him. When he finally went to the USF adcom member that looks over your PS for you if you ask for assistance, the adcom member liked his PS and said only a few minor changes needed to be made. But I spent quite a bit of time taking the time to talk to him, to give him ideas based on his personal profile on what kind of approaches he could take, what kind of themes and angles he could present his essay from, even giving him one of my old books on writing a good personal statement. So I'd like to think that its unfair to say that everyone doesn't put time into it.

As humid pointed out, most who are reviewing are people already accepted.
I can personally vouch for this year's reviewer TigerCU as being someone worth trusting, seeing as I reviewed her essay and it was flawless last year and one of the best that I read. I'm sure she would know what she's talking about as an accepted applicant. I'm willing to bet the same for others who've been accepted on here.

I agree with this completely. Like two years ago someone posted their entire personal statement in a thread and I was like are you nuts? The girl whose piano teacher told her she had the "hands of a surgeon" at age 8. lol

I would send your personal statement to few reputible posters (those with a decent history with SDN) to get their feedback. Use the $350 and buy yourself something nice, maybe a GPS system for your car or something (totally worth it more)

I wouldn't suggest posting it in a thread, but a few PMs to people who've reviewed PSes or on the reviewer's list andhave been accepted are worth doing so over paying essay edge which is a lot of money for very little input.

For people who used their services and had a good experience, who was your editor?

If you don't feel comfortable having someone on here review it, I'd find a good friend who knows how to write well or an english professor or advisor that can look at it. If you want, I can look at it for content briefly and let you know if you are on the right track. however, I won't be able to do in depth review of grammar and other things. Just basic idea content flow because I'm pretty busy with school stuff this summer.

Yeah but a lot of people with good stats also underestimate the importance of a decent PS, decent secondary essays, strong LORs, and good interviewing. One or more of the above factors have screwed many a people I know at USF in the past. One person was told their essays were sloppily written as in not enough effort into them. Another was waitlisted and rejected a few places due to poor interviewing skills, another was told their LORs were not strong enough. I think a lot of people don't take the subjective factors seriously enough sometimes.

I have heard that essay edge is chock full of great editors. The only problem with very expensive services like these is that they can sometimes cheat wealthier premeds who are willing to spend some dough to perfect the grammer and flow of their applications. What you wnat is to really figure out what content to use and how to relate it to your ultimate goal.

The best thing to do is to find a friend (maybe who you went to college with) to edit your essays. Find someone who isn't interested in science, and who will be very harsh with you. Try to steer clear of having parents edit essays, becaues there can be emotional baggage in the interaction. I would stongly reccomend finding some previously successful essays to read before doing something like paying 350 dollars for essay edge. they might give you a 5 % improvement that won't mean much for admission. for some people this service might be worthwhile if your flow and transitions are really off. i used a service called medicalstudentweb.com which i would reccomend you check out before you invest significantly in essay edge. also, check out the editors forum on student doctor.

What made me want to become a doctor is that one night while chilling with a friend that was home for the week end. all n all that night i was shot three times and a friend of mine was murdered. while in the hospital I could not focus on anything but these guys are saving my life and I would like to give back just like them. This was really inspiring but should i include it in my PS. My next inspriring m,oment cam with the birth of my son. My wife was going through a high risk pregnancy with high BP and gestational diabeties. when the doctors decided to induce my wifes pregnancy my son was comming out crooked so she needed a c-section. I sat in on this procedure and all I could focus on is how brilliant the human body is and how amazing the doctors were in performing the procedure. They even was showing me diffrent pieces in the body and letting me watch from thier side of the curtain. Oh one more thing can I put down observing three c-sections (all of my children ) as clinical experience.

What made me want to become a doctor is that one night while chilling with a friend that was home for the week end. all n all that night i was shot three times and a friend of mine was murdered. while in the hospital I could not focus on anything but these guys are saving my life and I would like to give back just like them. This was really inspiring but should i include it in my PS. My next inspriring m,oment cam with the birth of my son. My wife was going through a high risk pregnancy with high BP and gestational diabeties. when the doctors decided to induce my wifes pregnancy my son was comming out crooked so she needed a c-section. I sat in on this procedure and all I could focus on is how brilliant the human body is and how amazing the doctors were in performing the procedure. They even was showing me diffrent pieces in the body and letting me watch from thier side of the curtain. Oh one more thing can I put down observing three c-sections (all of my children ) as clinical experience.

:confused: What does that have to do with this thread?

:confused: What does that have to do with this thread?

Obviously, he's exploring his personal statement for free per the advice on this thread.

Step off your high horse!!

Jerk.

Step down.

Everyone hates the "holier than thou" premed.

since you are new to SDN I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. But come on you are the one giving personal insults not Humid. He just asked what someone's post had to do with a thread..

What I have learned from reading this thread: I should get a job at EssayEdge. I will gladly use my liberal arts degree in the humanities to edit your PS if anyone here wants to pay me $350. Hell, I'll even spend many hours doing so with the care that a friend or close family member would. Any takers? :D;)

I used an online editing service ( I think it was essay edge) that was only 70 bucks. I used them after having 2 friends and my boyfriend read my PS. I just liked having someone who did not know me read it. I found it helpful, because it pointed out some areas that needed to be more concise. I then had a friend read it one more time after I made the essay edge changes.

I will gladly use my liberal arts degree in the humanities to edit your PS if anyone here wants to pay me $350. Hell, I'll even spend many hours doing so with the care that a friend or close family member would.
Hell yeah! I'd already be up over 10 grand this year, I think.

Obviously, he's exploring his personal statement for free per the advice on this thread.

Step off your high horse!!

Jerk.
wow! you are insulting a mod, dude! :eek: way to get banned!!!