essay/former pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsp716

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on the application they ask if you had previously applied to med school, where I answered honestly that I had. I'm working on my essay now, and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to address that in it or if I should just talk about it in the interview if they ask? I have plenty of other stuff dentally-related to talk about and I was just wondering if I should waste the space talking about my previous pre-medness? Is anyone in the same boat?

thanks

AA/TS/PAT: 25/26/19

Members don't see this ad.

nsp716 said:
So on the application they ask if you had previously applied to med school, where I answered honestly that I had. I'm working on my essay now, and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to address that in it or if I should just talk about it in the interview if they ask? I have plenty of other stuff dentally-related to talk about and I was just wondering if I should waste the space talking about my previous pre-medness? Is anyone in the same boat?

thanks

I totally would it wouldn't hurt. You completely killed the DAT, so I bet you'll get in about everywhere you apply. I think it would look good to the adcoms if you showed that dental school wasn't just a back up plan.

I kinda agree too. I guess in general if you have the marks, you apply to both. I don't think I mentioned anything in my statement about being a pre-med except that I had no clue what I wanted to do before university. I applied to both med and dental at the same time from a previous cycle knowing damn well I wouldn't go to med school only because my parents told me to "not limit myself" so I figure I'll have to come up with a damn good explanation in an interview situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how did you expalin the medical school applications...because I too was encouraged not to "limit myself" so I applied to a caribbean medical school and got in. Now i'm worried about how to explain it in my personal statement/interview....any suggestions?

I hope this won't screw me over, but I just said I was interested in the healthcare field in general and considered doing dentistry, medicine or research at one point then began talking to ppl in those professions and getting a sense of what its about. That was all I wrote in terms of considering medicine. The rest was about dentistry shadowing experience, personality traits etc. It's kinda hard (and pointless) to write about why dentistry over medicine in 750 words and I doubt it will convince the adcoms if you talk about being a premed for half the paper.

prez_al said:
I hope this won't screw me over, but I just said I was interested in the healthcare field in general and considered doing dentistry, medicine or research at one point then began talking to ppl in those professions and getting a sense of what its about. That was all I wrote in terms of considering medicine. The rest was about dentistry shadowing experience, personality traits etc. It's kinda hard (and pointless) to write about why dentistry over medicine in 750 words and I doubt it will convince the adcoms if you talk about being a premed for half the paper.

Thanks everyone! I actually ended up putting in a short paragraph about how everyone in my family is a doc and it was always kind of assumed that I would be, but that when I finally looked at dentistry it became something I was interested in...then shadowing, working in a public health dental clinic, etc, etc....still working on it, but the draft is finally done :oops: