Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we are allowed to mention specific interactions between optometrists & patients that we observed during shadowing in our essays? Specifically, are we allowed to quote patients? I have a lot of quotes that patients said during the time that I shadowed that I want to incorporate into my essay, but I wasn't sure if this was allowed or not. I obviously was not going to include any personal or specific details about the patient, just things like, "when I was shadowing ____, she saw a patient with glaucoma, and the patient shared that,"......" " or something to that effect.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely appropriate. I think by doing so allows the committee to know that you are able to appreciate the care you are able to provide. Only parts (like you pointed out) to avoid are any patient identifiers (names, what exact practice you were at etc). I rotated through low vision clinics and definitely included a few memorable things from my patients there in my letter. Good luck.