essay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traveljunky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have begun/or filled out the essay requierment of the new OptomCAS application: is the essay topic the standard one for all optometry schools? I read on their website that you can customize it for each individual school-- does that mean that there is a slot to upload the essay for each school?

Also does the essay topic remain the same every year?

thankx

Members don't see this ad.

there is a slot to upload seperate essays for each school when you go in the essay section and i think the essay topic is the pretty much the same every year

Follow the prompt to write your OptomCAS essay. If you want to, (but you don't have to) you can customize it to each school. For example, you might want to say, "I've always wanted to go to SUNY because the Dr. I shadowed went there and told me how great it was..." or "I want to attend Salus because it's very important to me to stay close to my home in Philadelphia due to...." If you customize them, name them after each school (example: "SUNY essay", or "Salus essay") so OptomCAS sends them to the corresponding schools. If you don't customize, name it after yourself and upload this essay to all of your chosen schools. You aren't giving it a title, like "Optometry in the Twenty-First Century; Why it's Right For Me" (I know, how lame), You are giving it a name. Plus you'll notice they only give you about 20 or so characters to name it.

If the schools want another, different essay, they'll let you know in the supplemental application.

Follow the prompt to write your OptomCAS essay. If you want to, (but you don't have to) you can customize it to each school. For example, you might want to say, "I've always wanted to go to SUNY because the Dr. I shadowed went there and told me how great it was..." or "I want to attend Salus because it's very important to me to stay close to my home in Philadelphia due to...." If you customize them, name them after each school (example: "SUNY essay", or "Salus essay") so OptomCAS sends them to the corresponding schools. If you don't customize, name it after yourself and upload this essay to all of your chosen schools. You aren't giving it a title, like "Optometry in the Twenty-First Century; Why it's Right For Me" (I know, how lame), You are giving it a name. Plus you'll notice they only give you about 20 or so characters to name it.

If the schools want another, different essay, they'll let you know in the supplemental application.

Haha I've heard application nightmare stories where the applicant sent personalized essays to the wrong schools. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot...