Essential Year 1 Review before pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GellaBella

Penn Vet V'14
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had advice about year 1 material that would be helpful to review before beginning pathology in the fall. My first year classes included developmental biology, histology, biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, immunology, radiology, Neuro, and nutrition.

Would you recommend reviewing anything to refresh my memory before classes start again?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools I know usually go through the relevant material before they teach the path (i.e. in teaching cardiac path they usually review things like preload, afterload, stroke volume, CO, etc)

I had the same question but from what some have said, it might be a good idea to beep BRS physio and refresh on relevant stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone had advice about year 1 material that would be helpful to review before beginning pathology in the fall. My first year classes included developmental biology, histology, biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, immunology, radiology, Neuro, and nutrition.

Would you recommend reviewing anything to refresh my memory before classes start again?

Thanks

Physio would be the only one I'd bother refreshing. You'd probably be better off slowly going through RR Path. It has a lot of physio in it anyway and will get you acquainted with a lot of things that you need to know for MS2.

Preread Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease during the summer and also read Harrisons principles of internal medicine to really grasp the clinical stuff of pathology.

Enjoy your summer!

Thanks

I suggest you review about histology for more understanding about cells specialization. If your pathology class has microscope slides , it's better review for distinguish the difference from tissues, specially lung slides, myocardium slides and hepatocytes slides. Try to read a little about some functions of each cells types, read some vascular physiology specially for Hemodynamic Disorders,Thrombolic Disease and Shock.
You need understand about hydrostatic pressure, oncotic pressure and blood flow.
If you can, buy the Robbins and Cotran Pathology Review Books to make their exercises during the year class, it can help you to make a revision from each chapter.
Look this url below:
http://www.amazon.com/Robbins-Cotra...9304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307569232&sr=8-1

Good Luck in your second year.

Thanks

So, everyone is saying the same thing, and its the same response to anybody who asks about prereads or reviews before the next phase... Enjoy your summer. You will not gain anything by trying to "get a head start."

Thanks

I would normally say DO NOTHING, but having said that, if there were courses where you particularly weak in or crammed for, take maybe a few days to go over that material, but nothing too heavy. For the most part, enjoy your summer, its your last.

Having said that, if your school does all of its path by organ systems, before each organ system in the fall, review the anatomy, physio, histo and whatever else is relevant. Use review books from BRS or RR or Kaplan whatever you like. It takes maybe 2 days before you start every organ system. i can't tell you how much this helped me during the course and i remembered stuff for step studying

Thanks
Your status says you're a vet student.

I'm not sure if med students can give accurate advice on what first year vet courses to review before starting 2nd year. You would likely get much more informative answers if you asked the question in the vet forums.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. I know all the "pre-study" threads are annoying, but I just couldn't help myself :laugh:

and yes, I am actually a vet student, but there aren't as many vet students on the forums as there are med students, especially after the first year or so. So far I've found the advice you guys give each other on here to be helpful in my courses as well since we're basically taking the same things (a lot of our classes are taught by the Penn Med professors/a lot of our professors teach the same thing in Penn Med classes). So I don't think it really matters between vet and med students...at least for the core courses.

But thanks!

One of my seniors suggested I listen to the goljan pathology audio lectures (which you can find online with a quick search). It's a nice break-in to pathology without much hardcore studying. I listened to them on long car rides and it made path a little easier because I had at least heard many of the words before. best of luck

If you want to study at all this summer your time would likely be better spent reviewing things you have already done (with commercial prep books) rather than trying to advance on new stuff.

I say this though with the caveat that it would be an unfortunate decision for yourself if you spent too much time at study during your summer break.

Eg: I worked 50 hours a week at a internship the summer I took my mcat and still had time to socialize quite a bit and hit up the gym.

Well, Im drunk posting here again. Hope its coherent to some extent... took me way too long to write this. :)