Estimating Gestational Age

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone knows any quick formula on how to estimate gestational age based on the current date and the last menstrual period?

I've seen many consultants do it within seconds, they said that it comes with experience, but there must be some formula like Nagele's rule.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could..come from a school of hard knocks, we're supposed to know these without referring

Members don't see this ad :)
To get due date: from LMP add one year substract three month and add 7 days

Uh, nagele's rule IS the quick calculation. I think everyone can subtract 3 months and add 7 days in their head.

If you're talking about knowing that someone is 35 and 1/7 weeks today based on the LMP or EDD by just looking at the dates, you get used to this over years when you see, for example, a bunch of people due in early Feb every year at the end of December...

Yeah, just get a pregnancy wheel. They were floating around all over the place on our Ob rotation; check the cabinets. Otherwise, ask a resident where you can get your own.

Thanks guys..
But I don't think that I'll be lugging one around:D