etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccergirl1234u

Reaction score
Hello! my stats are:
Step 1: 244
Step 2: 254
I have 2 SLOE's, 2 LOR from EM faculty outside of residency programs.

I was also wondering how heavily EM weighs community service vs research. My application has much more community service and only a few research experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you really want to do residency in high-cost areas? Why not plan to do residency elsewhere and then move to such a location as an attending?
My advice applies unless you have family in either location or some other pressing need to live in those areas during residency ...

Do you really want to do residency in high-cost areas? Why not plan to do residency elsewhere and then move to such a location as an attending?
My advice applies unless you have family in either location or some other pressing need to live in those areas during residency ...
Maybe she's independently wealthy? Also regional connections do matter when applying for jobs, esp if looking for academics or small groups.

As to the OP, I have no idea how competitive you'd be. I never got the sense that NYC was all that competitive, I bet you could match somewhere there. I don't know if being a DO still carries a stigma on the east coast or not, I wouldn't think so. I have no idea what a 3.65 GPA means, is that from high school or something? Were you a national merit scholar? I hear that helps...

SC programs are by and large pretty competitive. But only one way to find out, go ahead and apply. I wouldn't buy a house before the match though.

FWIW, I matched at my top choice w/o any community service or research. I had a pretty baller application otherwise though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe she's independently wealthy? Also regional connections do matter when applying for jobs, esp if looking for academics or small groups.

If she's independently wealthy, why the hell do EM? If I hit the lottery, that would be the last day of clinical work for me.
As for the regional connections, meh. I think you can easily overcome those.
But yeah, like I said in my initial response, there are compelling reasons to deal with the high cost of those areas. But, it's something to think heavily about.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I am a DO and my stats are:
Step 1: 244
Step 2: 254
3.65 gpa
I have 2 SLOE's from SoCal programs, 2 LOR from EM faculty outside of residency programs.

I was wondering how good my chances are at matching in NYC or SoCal. I have regional ties to SoCal

I also have 2 other questions:
1. I was also wondering how heavily EM weighs community service vs research. My application has much more community service and only a few research experiences.
2. How important are regional ties? Will a program favor someone who was born/raised in their area, went away for medical school, and now wants to come back?

Thanks in advance!
...Why two SLOEs? I thought that was a no-no?

Reactions: 1 user

As to the OP, I have no idea how competitive you'd be. I never got the sense that NYC was all that competitive, I bet you could match somewhere there. I don't know if being a DO still carries a stigma on the east coast or not, I wouldn't think so. I have no idea what a 3.65 GPA means, is that from high school or something? Were you a national merit scholar? I hear that helps...

SC programs are by and large pretty competitive. But only one way to find out, go ahead and apply. I wouldn't buy a house before the match though.

FWIW, I matched at my top choice w/o any community service or research. I had a pretty baller application otherwise though.

okay its good to know that GPA doesnt matter that much, because i wasn't too happy with it. that's my med school gpa. definitely not buying a house anytime soon, my whole family is out here in socal so that's why i wanted to come back here.

How was your application "baller" otherwise? curious

...Why two SLOEs? I thought that was a no-no?
i'm from an "orphan" school and heard we can get away with 2 , i talked to multiple PD's at my top picks who said they're having a "no judgement" policy this year aka "if you have 0 we wont judge, if you have 5 we wont judge" to make sure before i went ahead with another sloe

okay its good to know that GPA doesnt matter that much, because i wasn't too happy with it. that's my med school gpa. definitely not buying a house anytime soon, my whole family is out here in socal so that's why i wanted to come back here.

How was your application "baller" otherwise? curious
high usmle scores, good grades and strong recs.
Sorry about the sarcastic tone in my earlier post. Best advice is to apply early and broadly Good luck!

i'm from an "orphan" school and heard we can get away with 2 , i talked to multiple PD's at my top picks who said they're having a "no judgement" policy this year aka "if you have 0 we wont judge, if you have 5 we wont judge" to make sure before i went ahead with another sloe

I find this hard to believe or they're just being nice. Every medical student and our rotators I talked to this year said the current standard is one SLOE only.

Reactions: 1 users
I find this hard to believe or they're just being nice. Every medical student and our rotators I talked to this year said the current standard is one SLOE only.

That is all that we are expecting with each application this year. Anything more and it may raise questions why someone is skirting the system to go above and beyond (i.e., are they being a gunner who isn't a team player).

Reactions: 2 users
The consensus statement was clear orphan student or not the standard is one SLOE. As a fellow applicant (also from an orphan school) it is really frustrating to see so many students skirt the recommendations. I dropped aways at places I would love to end up in order to open spots for others who needed the sloe and to follow the guidelines. Here is a direct quote from the statement, "Each student is expected to have only one EM clerkship SLOE in their residency application portfolio." I just hope gunners that took a second away aren't given preference to those of us who chose not to rotate in order to be a team player.

The consensus statement was clear orphan student or not the standard is one SLOE. As a fellow applicant (also from an orphan school) it is really frustrating to see so many students skirt the recommendations. I dropped aways at places I would love to end up in order to open spots for others who needed the sloe and to follow the guidelines. Here is a direct quote from the statement, "Each student is expected to have only one EM clerkship SLOE in their residency application portfolio." I just hope gunners that took a second away aren't given preference to those of us who chose not to rotate in order to be a team player.

I went from 5 down to 2 cause of the guidelines, and asked both my sloe programs if there were people waiting for the spots I was holding (they said no). Also asked the PD's at the programs I want, who said they aren't adhering to it, so I guess it just varies by person. Maybe I will get screwed over by doing the second one, but I wanted to tailor it to my top choices who said that they won't judge based on # of sloe's. i also wont even have the second sloe by the time ERAS is due, so it's not like I was taking away prime spots in the July-September months, I dropped my others that were during that time.