Ethical question renting office space

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forensicpsychjy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say I am going to be working with an attorney doing evaluations for the court. If I rent office space from him, and pay him solely for the office space he is providing me, is that seen as unethical? Or could be seen as a referral fee?

Members don't see this ad.

Some states prohibit this. Any time you have a case where this attorney is involved, you will have to answer. One minor slip up, (e.g., you owe him $400, he owes you $550, so he writes you a check for the remainder) and you're in bad shape. Keep in mind, it is not a problem for attorneys to do this, but it is a problem for other professions.

If you take federal monies in ANY capacity, DO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are the ethical concerns in this case?

It seems clear that it's a problem, I'd just like to understand the issue better. I don't do forensic work and am asking out of pure curiosity.

What are the ethical concerns in this case?

It seems clear that it's a problem, I'd just like to understand the issue better. I don't do forensic work and am asking out of pure curiosity.

Specialty guidelines about multiple relationships and sources of referrals.

Also if you accept federal monies ( like having a Medicaid/ Medicare contract, which can be required in some contracts, but BTW being a cms provider is the default for all providers in the USA and you have to opt out of this even if you never sign up), then ANY fee splitting or kickbacks is a federal criminal offense punishable by around a decade in the pen.

Keep in mind that fee splitting and kickbacks when called finders fees are not only okay, but extremely common for Attorney’s.

Last edited:
Specialty guidelines about multiple relationships and sources of referrals.

Also if you accept federal monies ( like having a Medicaid/ Medicare contract, which can be required in some contracts, but BTW being a cms provider is the default for all providers in the USA and you have to opt out of this even if you never sign up), then ANY fee splitting or kickbacks is a federal criminal offense punishable by around a decade in the pen.

Keep in mind that fee splitting and kickbacks when called finders fees are not only okay, but extremely common for Attorney’s.

I see - is the sole concern here that renting office space from the attorney could be perceived as fee splitting? I was wondering whether there might also be a tacit endorsement of the attorney's services by virtue of practicing in the same space.

Edited to add: Wow, I had no idea that fee splitting was okay for attorneys. That's interesting.

I'd also think about how objective you would be perceived to be. For example, if you were called to testify in a case with this lawyer - if your opinion happened to be favorable to his client, it seems all the opposing counsel would have to ask is "and where is your office located?"

Reactions: 1 user