Ethical Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1064759

I was wondering how two different approaches to ethical questions are perceived:

Keeping a one-sided stance and justifying it without exceptions.
vs.
Having a one-sided stance and then considering individual situations that warrant leniency.

Without any formal ethics class or training, I would lean toward the latter but I don't want to be perceived as not having a strong ethical framework that I operate off of.

For example: Do you think pirating music is immoral or merely illegal? What if someone was deathly ill and the music was the one thing that brought happiness in their tragic life? What if it was just one song etc etc.

Is there a correct answer?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how two different approaches to ethical questions are perceived:

vs.
Having a one-sided stance and then considering individual situations that warrant leniency.

Without any formal ethics class or training, I would lean toward the latter but I don't want to be perceived as not having a strong ethical framework that I operate off of.

For example: Do you think pirating music is immoral or merely illegal? What if someone was deathly ill and the music was the one thing that brought happiness in their tragic life? What if it was just one song etc etc.

Theft is wrong. Solved

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just a medical student; but during my interviews, I always held to my beliefs.

Medical schools want to know that you have a framework that you hold true to - that you make decisions based off of. Albeit, as long as you have a fundamental reason for your belief, and that belief isn't grossly unjustified in reasoning (i.e. there is absolutely no reason to be racist). Your reasonings and ethical standpoint are a strong part of your character. When you're practicing, you're going to come across ethical situations (for example; the age old "you have one liver for transplant, do you give it to the 20 year old alcoholic or the 65 year old chronic liver failure patient?"), and medical schools want to know that you will respond with grit, grace, reasoning, and strong character.

In the example, a physician (lets say you) is going to have to explain to one family why they are getting the liver and a life, and the other family you're going to have to explain that there isn't a liver to give. More often than not, one family will question you and pull at the heart strings. How do you respond? Do you flip flop? OR Can you respond with grace and reasoning? Medical schools will ask you these ethical questions to see, and piece of advice, being "flip floppy" is not a good look - usually.

Reactions: 2 users
Show your thought process. Evaluate the ethical dilemma from the angle of all parties affected (e.g., the deathly ill person's perspective, the musician's perspective and the public at large's perspective). In the process, ask all relevant questions (e.g., Does the deathly ill person have the ability to pay? Do they have any other viable alternatives?). After having done that, draw a conclusion and explain why.

Reactions: 1 users

vs.

1) Answer from the heart. if you're against abortion, say so and explain why.

2) Pay attention to, and answer the question. If I ask you, "what's your opinion on X?", not that I didn't ask you to explain. I just asked your opinion.

3) You should be able to assess and articulate the pros and cons of any ethics situation.

4) Nearly all ethics questions have no right answer. But sometimes, they have wrong answers.

Reactions: 2 users