Ethical questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From behavioral brs:

A legally competent, terminally I'll 70yo patient on life support asks her doc to turn off the machines and let her die. Doc complies. His actions are?
A. Unethical and illegal
B. ethical and legal
C. Unethical and legal
D. Ethical and illegal.

Answer is: b
Explanation: if a competent patient request cessation of artificial life support, it's is both legal and ethical to comply.

First aid says: doc must refuse involvement in any form of physician assisted suicide. Physicians may prescribe medically appropriate analgesics that coincidentally shorten the patients life.

Who is correct?

Gracias!!

Members don't see this ad.

We are talking about 2 different things.
Your q stem says the patient is competent and refuses artificial prolongation of life. For eg.,a cancer patient with extensive mets has the option to sign the 'Allow Natural Death' form (which is the natural evolution of his ds). This means that when the moment comes and his organs fail, the doctors will not keep him alive hooked to the machines, nor will they do CPR when his heart stops. Studies have shown that these measures are inefficient b/c once the cancer patients reach this critical step, only <5% will leave the hospital alive and conscious.
Physician assisted suicide happens before the patient reaches the point where he is actively dying. For eg. a patient with unresectable liver mets who asks the doctor to put an end to his struggle. And the patient has months to live.
Pls let me know if you understand what I tried to explain.

I think what it comes down to is that you're withdrawing life-sustaining care rather than administering something that will kill the patient. They have a right to refuse treatment, which is what this patient has opted for.

We are talking about 2 different things.
Your q stem says the patient is competent and refuses artificial prolongation of life. For eg.,a cancer patient with extensive mets has the option to sign the 'Allow Natural Death' form (which is the natural evolution of his ds). This means that when the moment comes and his organs fail, the doctors will not keep him alive hooked to the machines, nor will they do CPR when his heart stops. Studies have shown that these measures are inefficient b/c once the cancer patients reach this critical step, only <5% will leave the hospital alive and conscious.
Physician assisted suicide happens before the patient reaches the point where he is actively dying. For eg. a patient with unresectable liver mets who asks the doctor to put an end to his struggle. And the patient has months to live.
Pls let me know if you understand what I tried to explain.

It makes sense. Thanks.

I think what it comes down to is that you're withdrawing life-sustaining care rather than administering something that will kill the patient. They have a right to refuse treatment, which is what this patient has opted for.

Yea, thats true. So according to FA, physician CANT administer anything to end patients life.

Thanks!