PhD/PsyD Ethics questions about private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwinPsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into starting my own part-time psychotherapy practice. I have spent the last couple months scouting out office space, and I have some ethical questions.

I am located in a city, and I continue to find private office space within more collaborative/coworking spaces (think: WeWork, Regus, etc). I continue to wonder about the challenges of renting an office in a space where there are various other businesses, including tech startups, law offices, etc.

I am curious, for anyone who has rented in these types of spaces, have you had ethical concerns regarding privacy for your clients? My clients would need to wait in a waiting area that would service all of the businesses on the floor. If this was stated in my initial paperwork, would that be acceptable? Also, they may need to walk past other people when coming to my office.

Additionally, has anyone rented space in a secured building with a security desk where each person needs to sign in? Is this also an ethical violation, or acceptable as long as clients are notified?

I really appreciate any feedback/advice! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Was curious about this myself- the benefits (lower rent, utilities included, internet and some office supplies included) seemed great. I know that there are therapists that practice out of those facilities though I wouldn't assume that makes it ethical. Will be curious to hear other replies. I actually did wonder if a location like that would be more appealing to patients- maybe less stigma associated with multi purpose office space?

I'm not clear on why this would be an ethics concern. You wait in a waiting room to see a medical doctor. Other people will know you are seeing the doctor. No one knows what you are seeing anyone about. You have to walk into some building for any kind of service.
There might be a practical concern about people's stigma about seeking help, but that doesn't make it an ethics concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find this to be less of an ethics concern than a business one. I have worked in multi-person and special groups that often share a waiting area. The question is what are your clientele there for and will they feel comfortable. Likely not an issue seeing kids with an anxiety disorder and a major issue if you advertise as treating something more embarrassing almost exclusively (substance abuse, sex addiction, trauma, eating disorders, transgender issues, AIDS patients. etc.)

+1 to Sanman's comment. It depends a lot on the clientele you intend to attract. Be honest with yourself. How would you feel visiting a psychologist working out of a WeWork-type space? Maybe if you did a lot of career coaching, for example, this kind of setting would fly, but it may be uncomfortable for some.

I would have concerns about clients needing to sign in to access the building. I have a friend who sees a lot of people who are in sensitive positions and value discretion.

Have you looked into subletting from another psychologist or mental health professional? If you're only practicing part-time this might be a good option.