Etiquette for Second Visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heideggerian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search to see that this question was not previously answered and came up with little.

Basically, my question is: What is the etiquette regarding requesting to come take another look at a program? -In other words, initiating a second look on your own. Is it acceptable to ask to come spend a day shadowing a resident on rounds and attend conferences, or is that viewed as too sycophantic? If this is acceptable, when is the appropriate time to make a request? My intentions are to really get a better perspective of a program and not to necessarily prove my devotion or increase my chances. If I rank an underdog program that I felt really good about higher than high profile places, I want to be sure I have good reason to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. I understand that logistically, yes, I can call and ask to set something up. My question was more about how this is perceived and whether it is an unusual request.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call or email is fine. From my perspective it is better that you tell us the things that you want to see/do so that we can attempt to meet your needs. Shadowing a resident clinically could be problematic because of HIPAA and liability reasons. I would make the request whenever you are at the point that you need to do it.

Call or email is fine. From my perspective it is better that you tell us the things that you want to see/do so that we can attempt to meet your needs. Shadowing a resident clinically could be problematic because of HIPAA and liability reasons. I would make the request whenever you are at the point that you need to do it.

There are papers that can be filled out to satisfy HIPAA in these situations (Observership).
I think it is a good idea to take a second look.
Just dont give them a reason not to like you.

Deleted. My bad, looking in the wrong forum. I'm new here :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of second looks, is it looked upon negatively if you don't attend it if you are invited? Also, what is the proper wardrobe? Is it business attire again, or more casual?

Speaking of second looks, is it looked upon negatively if you don't attend it if you are invited? Also, what is the proper wardrobe? Is it business attire again, or more casual?

Officially programs cannot require second looks. They also cannot use second looks to affect your ranking. Thus,it should not matter. I would only go if you need additional information yourself. If you do not want to go, then politely refuse their invitation. Business attire, definitely.

I'd just call and ask.

Agree. The worst they can say is that they are not offering second looks. I think stating specific goals for the second look (to get a better sense of this or that..) would be useful when setting up the visit for the PD.

In my program a handful of applicants each year request second looks and we are happy to comply. Usually they sit in on some rounds or visit a service and then go out to lunch with a chief resident. Second the notion of HIPPA forms being available for observation.