Etiquette for Turning Down Interview/Acceptance

What is the proper etiquette for turning down an interview or an acceptance? For example, if I interview at a school and then decidedly know I do not wish to attend there, should I call and have them offer my space to another qualified applicant (thanks for the offer, etc.)? I know this question might sound like common sense, but just want to make sure I go about things the right way. I'm going to interview at a school I'm 90% sure I do not want to attend, but it's a great opportunity to interview there regardless (and who knows, maybe I'll love it). But if I can confirm I don't want to go there after the interview, I intend to contact them to no longer consider me as a prospective student. Sound good?

dantemac

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
  1. Dental Student
    I called LECOM and I was really sympathetic, I told them I was counting on acceptance from a state school and their interview spot would be served better for someone who really needed to see their school. The woman was really understanding. She actually sent me a thank you e-mail later in the day thanking me for calling and cancelling and giving up a spot.

Just be polite as possible and let them know that you feel another applicant would benefit more from an interview/tour.

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    10+ Year Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    USA
    1. Pre-Dental
      What is the proper etiquette for turning down an interview or an acceptance? For example, if I interview at a school and then decidedly know I do not wish to attend there, should I call and have them offer my space to another qualified applicant (thanks for the offer, etc.)? I know this question might sound like common sense, but just want to make sure I go about things the right way. I'm going to interview at a school I'm 90% sure I do not want to attend, but it's a great opportunity to interview there regardless (and who knows, maybe I'll love it). But if I can confirm I don't want to go there after the interview, I intend to contact them to no longer consider me as a prospective student. Sound good?

If you are shelling out the money for the interview flight/hotel, anyway, then stick it out until you have your acceptances...just in case. But if you've made up your mind about a school pre-interview, then go ahead and send the 'thanks, but no thanks' email.

About the Ads
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.