Turning Down an Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adk1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been waitlisted to three schools, two of which I would be thrilled to get accepted to. I have a 4th interview next week that tbh I'm not crazy about and I don't see myself at. At this point, if I don't get into a dental school this cycle, I would reapply the next cycle and make myself a better applicant. I have the stats but holistically speaking, I need to work at a dental office and do some more volunteering. I know I've read that turning down an acceptance (if it's my only one) looks bad and I could get flagged in my next cycle but what about backing out of an interview? Would that impact my chances at all next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that's what I've heard by another source but I just wanted to make sure. I will send a respectful email today and turn down my interview. And, yes, I will not apply to this school next cycle, if needed. Will my current waitlisted schools know that I turned down the interview? I really hope I get an acceptance at two of the schools I was waitlisted at.