Eukaryote chromosomes and Verbal ramblings...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khalil

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Flipping through my Kaplan 2002 review books the other day, I realized that there isn't enough in-depth info on Eukaryote chromosomes and control of gene expression - those fun new topics on the MCAT 2003. I know my DNA structure and protein synthesis etc, but what else we really need to know? Does anyone know of a solid website where I would be able to get some more info - I don't have any molecular biology texts on me! I did a search on the net, but found most sites to be super complicated and specific. Gracias! What are people doing to prepare for this (esp. those who are using older review books etc.)?

I was also thinking about this (right in the middle of a practice test :))... VR is now 60 questions. I know that the scaling/standard deviation will all change, but, just looking at the way the VR is scored on previous tests, there will probably be a smaller range of correct questions per score. So that could be a bad thing in one way, say if you scored between 50-55, that would have originally meant a 10 (for example), but because there are less questions, having between 50-51 right might end up to mean a 8 or something. That means we have less "room to play" for a certain score. I know everything will be even out in the end, but it's just food for thought... what do you guys think?

Khalil

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Just a response to my post. If anyone is looking for some updated Biology genetics material, you can go to www.examkrackers.com and download their entire genetics chapter as a PDF file. Unfortunately the printing option is disabled but it's pretty good information, a bit more in depth than Kaplan.

Happy reading!

Originally posted by khalil
Hey all,

Just a response to my post. If anyone is looking for some updated Biology genetics material, you can go to www.examkrackers.com and download their entire genetics chapter as a PDF file. Unfortunately the printing option is disabled but it's pretty good information, a bit more in depth than Kaplan.

Happy reading!

Cool, thanks a lot. Does anybody have answers to those few stand alone questions that's in the genes lecture?

16. C
17. C
18. D
19. C
20. A
21. B
22. C
23. D
24. C
25. D
26. B
27. B
28. A
29. A
30 D

If you have questions/need explanations, let me know

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually disregard those answers. I thought Mr. Orsay would just keep the same questions from the 3rd edition but he has added a few and switched around the order of a few...so I think like the first four or so are correct but after that don't count on it. Somebody with the 4th editions will have to help us out here

Here's 4th Edition Lecture 2: Genes stand alones. If you want the explanations to any of them post here. I may not be checking SDN that much this weekend cuz I have tons to do but I will get back to you as soon as I can :)

25. c
26 c
27 d
28 c
29 a
30 d
31 b
32 d
33 b
34 c
35 d
36 c