European hoping to get a job in Sydney as an SHO/RMO in 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aurelie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! sorry if this question has come up before but i can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for, especially anything relevant to the current situation. i'm a final year medical student in europe. Bilingual, good grades, involved in med societies and well rounded etc etc. I'm interested in both emergency med and ENT although i do love gen med, gen surgery and Psych so i'm very flexible and open minded at this point.

I've always assumed that once i finish my finals and my intern year in my home country that i could come to Australia (esp Sydney as i've friends there and it seems to be amazing!) to work as an SHO/RMO but have recently learned that there's a shortage of jobs and very few available to people like me.

is this really the case and if so does it rule out Sydney as a realistic option? also i would be very grateful to know of what one must do in order to increase their chances of being accepted onto a program over there?

I already know that as an international i must work for 2-4 years outside a training scheme before i can get accepted onto one and that i'll be applying for residency etc. i'm prepared for that but just wondering will i be able to get a foot in the door in the first place? in a big city? good hospital? what do they look for in your application?

thank you very much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

The applications are not merit-based. The only way you can improve your chances are by becoming an Australian permanent resident or citizen. You can get a PR visa if you've completed at least a year of postgraduate training, but you have to apply for recognition for that training to be deemed equivalent to Aussie training. It'd probably be considered equivalent in most European countries.

At that point, you'd be competitive. It would still be hard to say whether there will be a spot available, but it's looking unlikely.

Another possibility is to apply for a registrar place after you complete a couple of general years of internship/residency. Again, it'd be contingent on those years being recognized as equivalent, and it'd also be quite competitive, since there are lots of Aussie grads applying for the same positions. The plus side is that it's merit-based at this point, but most of that merit is based on recommendations from local Aussie doctors. If you have a lot of publications or a PhD or recommendations from somebody famous or some other great qualification, then you'd have a good shot.

Thanks for the info! I don't have any medical connection to Australia and I have no publications yet. I guess it's early days. so it would seem if one is unsuccessful after intern year that maybe after further training in europe you might still get a chance to come to sydney. my degree and intern training is accepted in Australia but that won't mean much if they've no more room for junior european doctors. there's still hope though :)