Euthanasia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karamella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IT's simple to say 'oh i hate myself ' (all of us say that sometimes) but not 'i want to die'
Do you think that euthanasia is a crime or can be a solution to end someone's suffering or just a last chance to search for a new life and feel strong and happy ?
(sorry Febrifuge for changes)

Members don't see this ad.

Euthanasia is (usually) defined as taking steps to help a person end their life. It can also be choosing not to take steps -- in other words holding back on treatment. This can be done when the health care providers and patient have discussed things, and they all agree that the benefits of treatment with be temporary, or result in a lesser quality of life than the patient wants. Most of the time in this country, terms like "euthanasia" and "assisted suicide" are used to mean the same thing -- depending on which side of the argument a person is on, they might choose to use a different term.

What you describe is not that. I think when you say "reanimation" you mean "resuscitation" -- for instance helping a heart attack patient come back to a stable heart rhythm using drugs and difibrillation. You describe a situation where the resources are scarce or expensive, and are not used for those reasons, not because it's a decision made by, or in cooperation with, the patient. So, in that case, no. That would not be euthanasia. That would just be a lack of resources, or a lack of adequate care.

More accurately in the case of a cardiac arrest it isn't lack of resources or inadequate care, it's a matter of the problem being too severe to be remedied. Even given the best of care, survival rates to hospital discharge following cardiac arrest often do climb about 5-10% and many of those who do survive are best described as "Schiavo-esque".

For too long people have criticized the very thought of youth in asia. I say, let our young people go to Asia if they so desire, or any other country for that matter.