evaluations? advice sought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squidilicious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be applying for 2008 entry and one of my concerns is that I will not have a supporting letter from a veterinarian. I do have a good range of animal and research experience, and I'm currently working at a small animal hospital - but it's a big place, and I work among the CVTs, supporting many different doctors. It's hard to get to know anyone well enough to ask for a letter. I'm prepared to apply anyway, but I was wondering if this is considered a major weakness? Have people here had success applying without a vet's recommendation? Is it something worth explaining in my application, or is it not worth mentioning if I have several positive letters from other supervisors?

Any advice welcome!!

Squidy

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools (Colorado State, for one) actually require that one of your letters be from a veterinarian; for others it would likely be a liability if you were missing a vet reference. However, having a weak letter won't help either.
Would it be possible for you to ask your supervisors and one or two vets to do a committee letter? You could have one of the CVTs or supervisors write it, and have multiple people sign it.

well you've got a summer left.....start smoozing?? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'm wrong about this, but I thought that every school required at least one vet recommendation, while some require at least two. Not having one would definitely not be good. I would consider asking for a committe letter, or trying to work this summer to get a better relationship with one of the vets.

I also think not having one would be detrimental to your application. Being that these people have also been through vet school and the application process they should understand your need for a letter. I would just ask if one of them wouldn't mind writing one. Maybe you could try getting to know one of them for a few weeks then ask. Good luck with that!

Yeah, definitely ask...you never know. If not, you might consider trying to find another vet to work for. You have the whole some to rack up some hours with someone. You might want to try working for a small one doctor practice. It's a little easier to get to know the doctor that way.

I wouldn't apply without at least one letter from a vet.