Ever had a house moment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umean2tellme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a medical student has anyone been in clinicals and caught some really rare disease that an attending or resident didn't or hadn't heard of? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually watch House for the drama (yes, I'm serious), but whenever I kinda pay attention, and subsequently check out good ol' Wikipedia for reference, I notice the writers are rather liberal with a disease's presentation. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe every disease in the book causes a patient's vitals to crash. :shrug:

some really rare disease that an attending or resident didn't or hadn't heard of?

I can barely imagine a student making a diagnosis that the attending missed, so I refuse to believe that the attending also did not know of the disease. There's something to be said of the crazy bootcamp that is residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not in the wards yet so I don't know. But I have had several 3rd and 4th year medical students and a few residents say they got 2-3 questions right on their boards because of house. I find that funny.

Yeah, I've had a few, but usually I'm the one who the guy playing House is yelling at.