everwood...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

is it just me or does the show's premise that a big city neurosurgeon could open a full scope FP practice in a small town seem a little ridiculous? sure he would be ok with all the surgical stuff, but what about all the primary care problems, medications, ob, peds, derm, etc....
great show, but why couldn't they have just had an fp doc move from ny to the middle of nowhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I wondered that as well. As an aside, it's interesting to note that this year many of the 500+ plus FP residency programs are being inundated with transfer requests from surgery residents who are seeking to switch to FP. Many programs don't see that as a "good fit" for advanced placement because of the reasons the previous poster cited: no OB/GYN, Peds, or [limited] IM experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, based on what I've seen happening on the show, they clearly don't have any medical consultants on the show. On the very first episode, there was a townsperson who was asking the neurosurgeon if he planned on setting up a derm clinic. Neurosurgery to family practice is a far reach, but I believe that it could happen. Some states which are short on MD's will allow you to set up a "general practice" after only one year of residency training in anything. I do know of general surgeons who converted their practice into a general practice.

What network is this show on? I've never even heard of it.

It is truly possible I know of a general surgeon who after 15 years in sugery decided to open up 2 fp medical clinics that takes care of predominately low income patients. He is now a general practitioner, who actually see patients in his clinic 6 days a week.
Anything is possible.

s.

I have a hard time watching 'real' tv because it seems way too bogus. I mean, I like the medicine on ER, but when I have watched it I found myself thinking: what's up with all these stupid personal dramas? It seemed everytime something medically interesting came along - which it did WAY too often - there would be this sudden intrusion of a charcter's personal whatever. :confused:

Then I realized, maybe that's supposed to be the whole premise of the show, these rediculous personal dramas. I had to give up.

Mostly I am left with the Nature shows on PBS, or American Experience stuff. Otherwise I get too confused and wonder: what kind of people are really like this???

I did like NoEx, as we called it here - Northern Exposure. Sweet show and I thought the medicine was ok ...