Every August I have less appointments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this pattern every single year in private practice. I've gotten to the point where all the stuff that I do once a year that's a pain in the ass I'm trying to position in August cause I have much more free time this month.

So I typically have too many people begging to see me, but in August about 70% of my available schedule is filled.

I don't know why this happens but this is my speculation. Those on summer break had time to wind-down. Those with seasonal affective disorder have now soaked up a few months of sunlight. The sunlight likely helped raise Vitamin D levels. Those are my only theories.

All of the psychotherapists I know tell me same thing. August-business drops but it's back up by September.

Anything like this happening to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I did inpatient psych there was patterns to unit census. I've since forgotten them.
I somewhat had a perspective of Outpatient ebs/flows, but I've forgotten what I hypothesized.
But I think there 3, maybe 4 periods of dips in the year.

I've noticed this pattern every single year in private practice. I've gotten to the point where all the stuff that I do once a year that's a pain in the ass I'm trying to position in August cause I have much more free time this month.

So I typically have too many people begging to see me, but in August about 70% of my available schedule is filled.

I don't know why this happens but this is my speculation. Those on summer break had time to wind-down. Those with seasonal affective disorder have now soaked up a few months of sunlight. The sunlight likely helped raise Vitamin D levels. Those are my only theories.

All of the psychotherapists I know tell me same thing. August-business drops but it's back up by September.

Anything like this happening to you?

Yep. Everyone takes vacations during the summer too and forgets to tell you about it until the week of their appointment so there's a bunch of relatively short term cancellations that typically don't get filled up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer programs for the kids end early August and school hasn't started, meaning at least a fair number of people are on vacation or trying to swing providing child care without losing their jobs. That might be part of it.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m typing this as I’m sitting here scrolling thru funny YouTube videos because half my outpatients didn’t show today. Same thing yesterday. Maybe there’s something to it…lol

• Haha
My theory is that school starts back up in August and people are too distracted by all the sudden responsibilities to go to their appointments; or for personality patients to distracted to remember they're anxious/depressed. Once they get into a routine after a couple of weeks they're back to seeing their docs. Other professionals may be gearing up for the end of the fiscal year at the end of September. Similar reason why there's a dip in hotel bookings in Nov-Feb outside of winter breaks. People are too busy with end of semester/start of semester stuff with their kids to take trips.

This is my first yr in PP but july was pretty quiet with lots of people going on vacation and fewer new pt appointments. But so far August is busy. This is my busiest week in PP so far with both news and follow ups (despite pts on vacation). I'm actually feeling a bit stressed lol

I typically have a very busy summer including August

I think deductible season is the worst. First three months of the year. People forget their deductible reset and there's a flurry of cancellations or people arguing about their bills. I like to stock up on appointments in last two quarters of the year or any time I see on a patient account deductible is met. Especially out of pocket. then insurance pays in full. Cha ching.

For deductibles, a hack I learned is if a patient does not come in often. I hold the claim for almost 90 days. Wait for other places to absorb the deductible then send claim and hope by then the deductible is met so I get a more reliable payout. Let the big boxes eat the deductible.

I minimize January appointments, pick up a little in Feb but I crank it up as the year progresses. Bummed my baby is going to be delivered end of this month...missing the hot season. Wish she'd be born in January lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
CAP here, summer is always super slow as kids on break and less stress for parents and kiddos. With MH crisis in kids it's not as good as subsequent years but still better. Now, once fall drops it's all hands on deck!

July is slower for me, so I take some vacation. In August, parents start preparing for school. I start getting my children with ADHD coming back to restart meds. If they miss August, panic begins in September and new issues arise with school.

Freud’s working history shows some similarities. 12 hr days until September ish. Then he took a 3 month vacation. Concerned himself with hedgehogs and Italians and white suits .

But his habilitation contributed to this (I.e., the balognoa process, not some rehab BS).

There is a reason that the most common birth month is September. Maybe manic episodes represent an exaggerated variation of a human breeding cycle.

I've been looking for a pattern for 10 years where I'm at and can't see one. Summer is busy, I'm seeing 2 to 4 new outpatient evals every day. Some years Christmas week is slow, other years it's busy. Of course, there are always confounding factors like staff turnover.

July was slow but I also traveled a lot. August is much busier especially as school is starting for children/teens. It's a high volume time for kiddos.