Every Predent wants to do OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousername

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in undergrad right now.

Assuming I get into DS, what should I do besides doing well academically to get a residency in a OMFS program?

What kind of research should I be involved in?

Can I start externships right after admission (or even now)?

Can I do anything now, to help me reach my goal?

What is the typical trajectory like for someone to become an oral surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

Your ambition will serve you well. Right now I would take a deep breath and relax.
Here are some steps to follow:
1) Get into dental school
2) Get good grades/board scores (if they still do this) in dental school.
3) During dental school spend some time in your elective OS clinic, the local program, etc. talking/asking questions/etc. and getting a good feel for OS. Find out if it is really what you want to do.
4) Many do externships. Most places want you to have finished at least your 2nd or 3rd year of dental school, but some places may make exceptions.
5) Research can always add to your CV. I did some endo research, not related to oral surgery, which doesn't matter.
6) be involved in school clubs, honor societies, etc.

For right now focus on having a good time, finishing college, etc.

Assuming I get into DS, what should I do besides doing well academically to get a residency in a OMFS program?

^ Agree.

Prepare for dental school, then prepare for residency and applying for residency when you're in dental school. DS isn't a walk in the park. Part of preparing is to finish up school and find some time to take a breather. If you're motivated and involved, you will be competitive. You may or may not do research, community service, leadership, externships, etc. but ultimately you should be strongly involved in a few of those. Overall you just want to show your time and experience has led you into OS.

With that said, and I don't know if you will take this to heart, I would enter DS with an open mind to everything dentistry has to offer. I think it will make you a stronger applicant to have given everything a fair shot and ultimately arrived at OS (from a dental students perspective, I know you've probably looked into the other specialties). I was in the same boat as you and I think it helped a lot to know about and even consider other specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ambition will serve you well. Right now I would take a deep breath and relax.
3) During dental school spend some time in your elective OS clinic, the local program, etc. talking/asking questions/etc. and getting a good feel for OS. Find out if it is really what you want to do.
4) Many do externships. Most places want you to have finished at least your 2nd or 3rd year of dental school, but some places may make exceptions.
5) Research can always add to your CV. I did some endo research, not related to oral surgery, which doesn't matter.

Frankly, corolla, that's good advice for all specialty programs. Thanks.

Why do you want to oral surgery so bad? What omfs procedures are you interested in?

Why do you want to oral surgery so bad? What omfs procedures are you interested in?

I've seen three procedures (TMJ, cyst, and tooth removal) which isn't much. But I was really impressed by how much of a difference was made to the patient. When I compare it to the GP and Ortho guys I shadowed extensively, I feel like I would be more fulfilled with my career because, in more cases, I would be making a substantial impact on the patients life.

Apart from that, getting into OS seems like a real accomplishment that only few can have. The opportunity for an MD (and the understanding of human body that comes with it) is also a good incentive.

In the end, I guess I feel that being an OS hits all the things that I believe General Practice and other specialties lack. I see more responsibility, more education, better understanding of medicine, better and a larger variety of procedures...all the while still being a dentist.

I have a while to go but I'd like to look into potential options now so I can hit the ground running. I'm interested in dentistry and don't want to go to medical school just yet so OMFS seems like the prefect "gray area" between the two professions.

if you really feel that way you should go to med school. much better chance you will end up happy based on what you said you are looking for.

OMFS seems like the prefect "gray area" between the two professions.

I felt the same way.... and thats why I went into OMFS... its Awesome.. and after seeing medicine (which can also be awesome) it is the perfect blend. Good luck Anonymoususername... i think you'll really like it if you end up doing it...

OMFS seems like the prefect "gray area" between the two professions.

I felt the same way.... and thats why I went into OMFS... its Awesome.. and after seeing medicine (which can also be awesome) it is the perfect blend. Good luck Anonymoususername... i think you'll really like it if you end up doing it...

Awesome user name

if you really feel that way you should go to med school. much better chance you will end up happy based on what you said you are looking for.

even though I was considering it, I'm leaning toward dental school because if I perform well, I would still have the option of becoming a physician.

this is really good stuff...
what do successful dental students do that others don't?
how does the game plan for succeeding change in DS when compared to undergrad?
can you think of anything else that would help get matched into OS?

this is really good stuff...
what do successful dental students do that others don't?
how does the game plan for succeeding change in DS when compared to undergrad?
can you think of anything else that would help get matched into OS?
As a dental student, the successful student has give 101% every day, every exam, etc. and sometimes it comes down to pure luck (grading bench instructor, did you memorize the right bullet points). Aside from preclinic, dental school is all about soaking down more powerpoints and information than you thought possible, being able to do this 2-3 times a week for each exam and tossing in some extracurricular activities. Some of the brightest in the classroom struggle in lab...

Members don't see this ad :)
1992Corolla:

I'm a little confused by one of your responses. So are you saying that your Endo research didn't matter because it wasn't OMFS research or that it doesn't matter what type of research you do b/c programs just like for you to do it? I know it probably makes more sense to do research in ortho if you want to ortho (or for w/e specialty). Thanks for the help

Come on guys, the thread's name is "Every Predent wants to do OMFS". The reason is simple, cause it carries the "MD" title behind it lol

Just kidding :) Good luck on your path.

Question:

Is it possible for a working dentist to go back and apply to a residency program? What I mean is, say someone graduated DS and decided to work for a few years, then finally decided to pursue.... say OMFS, is he/she allowed to apply? Or your only opportunity to apply is right after DS ?

Question:

Is it possible for a working dentist to go back and apply to a residency program? What I mean is, say someone graduated DS and decided to work for a few years, then finally decided to pursue.... say OMFS, is he/she allowed to apply? Or your only opportunity to apply is right after DS ?

You can go back and apply and many people do. Some programs even give extra consideration to practitioners who have been practicing for a few years.

i anticipate that a majority of new dental students have the desire/expectation to specialize, what are some characteristics of students who aren't competitive for any specialties?

by what year does that realization occur that there is really no hope for matching into a residency?

i anticipate that a majority of new dental students have the desire/expectation to specialize, what are some characteristics of students who aren't competitive for any specialties?

by what year does that realization occur that there is really no hope for matching into a residency?

I strongly believe that a majority of students don't come to dental school wanting to specialize. I thinks it's intriguing to most, but not an outright goal. You just know so little about dentistry...even with your 10 bazillion hrs of shadowing.

While I don't believe in stupid questions, I do believe there are questions that if answered don't really change anything anyway.

People at my school went one of a few ways. Right around week 5, the depression really sets in as you realize just how bad these next 4 years will be. The lab stuff, didactics, tests...overwheling. Everyone went from being a top student in ugrad to getting destroyed. It is at that point where the dicotomy starts to show up. There will be those who naturally excel, those that will work hard enough to excel, and then those who don't care and will only give effort if they see a direct link to their future dental office.

But like I said, who cares when or why people lose their goal of high marks. You won't be one of them if you care enough. Just pray the depression kicks in early and fast so you can accept that life is going to suck for a few years!!

I strongly believe that a majority of students don't come to dental school wanting to specialize. I thinks it's intriguing to most, but not an outright goal. You just know so little about dentistry...even with your 10 bazillion hrs of shadowing.

While I don't believe in stupid questions, I do believe there are questions that if answered don't really change anything anyway.

People at my school went one of a few ways. Right around week 5, the depression really sets in as you realize just how bad these next 4 years will be. The lab stuff, didactics, tests...overwheling. Everyone went from being a top student in ugrad to getting destroyed. It is at that point where the dicotomy starts to show up. There will be those who naturally excel, those that will work hard enough to excel, and then those who don't care and will only give effort if they see a direct link to their future dental office.

But like I said, who cares when or why people lose their goal of high marks. You won't be one of them if you care enough. Just pray the depression kicks in early and fast so you can accept that life is going to suck for a few years!!

Geez, where did you go to school?! I hope they had plenty of psychiatrists on staff!

a few of my friends who went into med school pretty much said the same thing. The first 2 years are hard, esspecially 2nd year