gossip_girl_xoxo

Study while others sleep
2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2014
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Dental
Ok so I started out at a CC after high school basically because all the universities in my town were too far from home.

The CC I go to requires that students take Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2 and Bio 1/2 for a degree in Biology and to be eligible for a transfer agreement they have with a really good school.

So by the time I graduate from CC I will have 80 credits because I am going to take Orgo 1/2, Anatomy 1/2 and Microbiology too. If I don't take these classes , I will basically just have like 2 classes a semester since I've finished all my core classes except Bio 2 and Physics 2.

If I go this route, I can graduate in a year from the 4 year college assuming I take summer classes.

I am thinking of getting a master's before applying to med school and doing research. Or should I apply right after?

Will schools hate me if I have 80 CC credits and only 40 4 year college ones?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You'll be 100% OK!

Ok so I started out at a CC after high school basically because all the universities in my town were too far from home.

The CC I go to requires that students take Chem 1/2, Physics 1/2 and Bio 1/2 for a degree in Biology and to be eligible for a transfer agreement they have with a really good school.

So by the time I graduate from CC I will have 80 credits because I am going to take Orgo 1/2, Anatomy 1/2 and Microbiology too. If I don't take these classes , I will basically just have like 2 classes a semester since I've finished all my core classes except Bio 2 and Physics 2.

If I go this route, I can graduate in a year from the 4 year college assuming I take summer classes.

I am thinking of getting a master's before applying to med school and doing research. Or should I apply right after?

Will schools hate me if I have 80 CC credits and only 40 4 year college ones?

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
^ can confirm. I did 7/8 pre-reqs at comm. college OR completely online...ended up with several acceptances.

Reactions: DocWinter

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
^ can confirm. I did 7/8 pre-reqs at comm. college OR completely online...ended up with several acceptances.
Cool yanks, didn't know that about you. Graduated with my bs online as well, took about 1/2 my prereqs at the CC.
Also graduated with no debt:greedy:

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
No debt is nice. While i graduated from a 4 year university, my diy post bacc was all cc or through UNE online.

Either way I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: arc5005

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Can confirm as well. All of my pre-reqs were done at a CC before transferring and also as apart of a DIY post bacc after I graduated. 4 interviews, 3 acceptances thus far (1 interview I didn't attend because of plant ticket cost). When asked about it in my interviews, I simply told them I'd rather pay 50 bucks a unit for the same course rather than 300-400 that my buddies were paying lol No shame in your game shorty do yo thannngggg. ;)

Reactions: DetectiveAlonzo
OP
gossip_girl_xoxo

gossip_girl_xoxo

Study while others sleep
2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2014
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Dental
:dead: You guys took prereqs online???

I took Physics and Chem online and am so scared med schools will found out and deny me. That's why I'm taking Chem 2 in school rn with a horrible teacher.

My transcript doesn't say if its online or not... Did the med schools know for you guys or not?

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
An A is an A. The MCAT is the great equalizer anyway. I'm sure there are peeps who took online sciences and managed to do well on the MCAT. There's also the opposite. Just do what you gotta do.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
Its fine

Check MSAR book for specific situations where it won't be fine (what schools require non CC pre-reqs).

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
:dead: You guys took prereqs online???

I took Physics and Chem online and am so scared med schools will found out and deny me. That's why I'm taking Chem 2 in school rn with a horrible teacher.

My transcript doesn't say if its online or not... Did the med schools know for you guys or not?
I took chem1/2 online (labs included). I had multiple acceptances last cycle.

Don't be worried.

BGMayagi

5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2014
New England
Status
Medical Student
Same here, almost all prerqs at a CC(including organic), no upper level bio courses at a 4 year college. One accept so far, waiting to hear from 5 more schools i interviewed at ( a few MD too) with more interviews to go. Just do well, get everything else set and you'll be fine. Just dont expect Harvard Med or anything like that as they tend to be picky.