Everything I write sounds like CR&P

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Green912, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Green912

Attending Physician
    I know I'm no literary genius but these secondaries really shouldn't be this hard. Can't I just re-copy "I really want to go to Med School" a bunch of times.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tweetie_bird

hahhahahah. Welcome to secondary-land. I had been suffering a serious writer's block for my CWRU essay and needed some inspiration. So I watched Patch Adams. :)

I am tellling you, it works! You have to do something or think of something inspirational before you write. Writing is an art. You can't force it. If it comes to you at 2:00 in the a.m., you have to turn on your light and start writing. I know it will mess up your schedule, but you will come up with some good stuff that way.

I also listen to Enya when I'm writing. Somehow, that music inspires me to write. Just a few thoughts. :)

4. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    no. you write "i really want to go to YOUR med school" a bunch of times. duh

5. Tweetie_bird

also make sure you don't say "UR" med school. I did that in my secondary and thank GOD I caught it. :D

6. Inspiration is paramount to good writing, but be careful! I watched The Royal Tenenbaums before writing Case Western's secondary, and it ended up sounding really dark, and depressing, and borderline suicidal. Additionally, there were pockets of unintentional hilarity, and mice running everywhere. On top of that, I discussed my meltdown in the 1979 Wimbledon Tennis Championships. Then I discovered that I was brainwashed by the film instead of inspired by it! The best part? My last line ended with, "(...) and then I realized, your ideal candidate is everything I'm not."

7. agent

agent agent, RN

that seriously works for me.

good advice

8. jot

jot

:laugh:

9. agent

agent agent, RN

at least he's honest

10. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    I've done most of my best writing when really pissed at the whole thing. Somehow a bit of anger gets me to stop worrying that I sound corney and gets me to just put stuff down. Sortof how alcohol can be a social lubricant. Hmm...maybe I should have a few drinks before the Case essay ;)

11. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It's so true that u have to watch ur sources of inspiration. Me, it's a good thing I waited until the next day after watching the Tenenbaums before writing two secondaries. U know how right before u go to sleep, u start thinking like crazy and all these thoughts and ideas come into ur head? Well, that was when I wrote a few of my secondaries--half asleep. The next day, I proofread them, and they were pretty good (a few misspellings here and there, but kind of stream of consciousness). I used them! btw, that's the way I busted all A's in all of my English lit classes! :clap:

12. Kaos, we share similar experiences. I actually discussed in my secondaries my intention to write a novel. I am 50 pages into one so far, but I don't yet know if the finished product will be publishable. It's going so many directions!

13. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd love to read it! ;) :laugh:

14. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

For variety...you can make some of them "I like wanna go to med school and stuff"... See if they notice. ;)

-RA