Quantcast

Everything I write sounds like CR&P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green912

Full Member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2001
Messages
724
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
I know I'm no literary genius but these secondaries really shouldn't be this hard. Can't I just re-copy "I really want to go to Med School" a bunch of times.
 

Tweetie_bird

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
2,193
Reaction score
2
hahhahahah. Welcome to secondary-land. I had been suffering a serious writer's block for my CWRU essay and needed some inspiration. So I watched Patch Adams. :)

I am tellling you, it works! You have to do something or think of something inspirational before you write. Writing is an art. You can't force it. If it comes to you at 2:00 in the a.m., you have to turn on your light and start writing. I know it will mess up your schedule, but you will come up with some good stuff that way.

I also listen to Enya when I'm writing. Somehow, that music inspires me to write. Just a few thoughts. :)
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
4,372
Reaction score
5
Originally posted by Green912
I know I'm no literary genius but these secondaries really shouldn't be this hard. Can't I just re-copy "I really want to go to Med School" a bunch of times.

no. you write "i really want to go to YOUR med school" a bunch of times. duh
 

Tweetie_bird

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
2,193
Reaction score
2
also make sure you don't say "UR" med school. I did that in my secondary and thank GOD I caught it. :D
 
S

shamthis

Inspiration is paramount to good writing, but be careful! I watched The Royal Tenenbaums before writing Case Western's secondary, and it ended up sounding really dark, and depressing, and borderline suicidal. Additionally, there were pockets of unintentional hilarity, and mice running everywhere. On top of that, I discussed my meltdown in the 1979 Wimbledon Tennis Championships. Then I discovered that I was brainwashed by the film instead of inspired by it! The best part? My last line ended with, "(...) and then I realized, your ideal candidate is everything I'm not."
 

agent

agent, RN
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2002
Messages
1,018
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
hahhahahah. Welcome to secondary-land. I had been suffering a serious writer's block for my CWRU essay and needed some inspiration. So I watched Patch Adams. :)

I am tellling you, it works! You have to do something or think of something inspirational before you write. Writing is an art. You can't force it.

that seriously works for me.

good advice
 

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
2,155
Reaction score
13
I've done most of my best writing when really pissed at the whole thing. Somehow a bit of anger gets me to stop worrying that I sound corney and gets me to just put stuff down. Sortof how alcohol can be a social lubricant. Hmm...maybe I should have a few drinks before the Case essay ;)
 

kaos

Web Crawler
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Messages
4,172
Reaction score
5
Originally posted by shamthis
Inspiration is paramount to good writing, but be careful! I watched The Royal Tenenbaums before writing Case Western's secondary, and it ended up sounding really dark, and depressing, and borderline suicidal. Additionally, there were pockets of unintentional hilarity, and mice running everywhere. On top of that, I discussed my meltdown in the 1979 Wimbledon Tennis Championships. Then I discovered that I was brainwashed by the film instead of inspired by it! The best part? My last line ended with, "(...) and then I realized, your ideal candidate is everything I'm not."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It's so true that u have to watch ur sources of inspiration. Me, it's a good thing I waited until the next day after watching the Tenenbaums before writing two secondaries. U know how right before u go to sleep, u start thinking like crazy and all these thoughts and ideas come into ur head? Well, that was when I wrote a few of my secondaries--half asleep. The next day, I proofread them, and they were pretty good (a few misspellings here and there, but kind of stream of consciousness). I used them! btw, that's the way I busted all A's in all of my English lit classes! :clap:
 
S

shamthis

Kaos, we share similar experiences. I actually discussed in my secondaries my intention to write a novel. I am 50 pages into one so far, but I don't yet know if the finished product will be publishable. It's going so many directions!
 

kaos

Web Crawler
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Messages
4,172
Reaction score
5
Originally posted by shamthis
Kaos, we share similar experiences. I actually discussed in my secondaries my intention to write a novel. I am 50 pages into one so far, but I don't yet know if the finished product will be publishable. It's going so many directions!

I'd love to read it! ;) :laugh:
 

Random Access

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Green912
I know I'm no literary genius but these secondaries really shouldn't be this hard. Can't I just re-copy "I really want to go to Med School" a bunch of times.

For variety...you can make some of them "I like wanna go to med school and stuff"... See if they notice. ;)

-RA
 
Top